The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 39: Drool, the Dog-Faced Goblin  » TV  »
  • It's an interesting analysis, but we've seen several instances where they stop to help the spirit rather than bust it after discovering that it was more benign
  • The ringmaster's speech probably would've come off as corny in any other circumstance, but I thought it was fairly appropriate here
  • All in all, this was 20 minutes well spent and I recommend checking this episode out

• by David Finniss

Going into this, I wasn’t sure what I was going to think of the episode. While it’s nowhere near as awesome as the one that came before it, it surprised me with its quality. This episode was actually very good and Drool was not nearly as annoying as I figured he was going to be.

The whole message about not judging things by how they look was relatively subtle. While the ringmaster of the sideshow could’ve easily hammered in some moral about it, the closest we get is when she accuses them of being trigger happy after dealing with so many ghosts. It’s an interesting analysis, but we’ve seen several instances where they stop to help the spirit rather than bust it after discovering that it was more benign. Then again, those are vastly outweighed by straight forward “blast and trap em” instances so she may be on to something. A

part of me wouldn’t have minded going deeper into that idea, but there is only so much runtime and I guess the writers didn’t want to hammer in the moral of the story.

I’m surprised that the team was so quick to attribute the phenomena that they experienced to Drool. Yeah, he’s a shape shifter and could’ve manifested as the various creatures, but stuff happened that is far outside the realm of abilities for a simple goblin. The soup in Pete’s shower, the raining grits, that seems a bit outside of Drool’s element, no? I guess they were going for the idea that Drool was more than a simple goblin, though that’s never outright stated.

Of course, an outside force turns out to be responsible. I was OK with this twist, but the explanation that Winston gave came out of nowhere. I’m OK with the team having adventures off screen (heck, Doctor Who ...

• fans like to imagine the same thing), but when it comes to the story, you could at least show it in a prologue or something. It could’ve given away the ending, but this idea that they encountered it before and got away just didn’t sit right with me.

Why couldn’t the ghost have been following them just to cause trouble? I’m not sure why that prior off screen encounter was even necessary. They’ve been targeted before by spirits, so the idea that this one was stalking them shouldn’t really be that far out of left field.

Where this episode really shines is the end. It’s not quite tearjerker territory, but it is poignant. Your eyes may not water, but your heartstrings will be tugged on once the Ghostbusters realize what Drool wants them to do. You’ve got to respect that kind of nobility, even the Ghostbusters themselves had a hard time dealing with the

possibility of Drool sacrificing himself for the greater good. It does make the episode feel like a downer ending, but it was one that was pulled off well. Even on the off chance you did find Drool to be an annoying creature, that final scene should put your perspective in a whole new light. The ringmaster’s speech probably would’ve come off as corny in any other circumstance, but I thought it was fairly appropriate here.

I was kind of expecting this episode to be more of a dud, but it managed to pull off the concept rather well. It’s not as good as “No One Comes to Lupusville” but it is a solid entry in the series and it manages to tug on the heartstrings in a way that no other episode has before, which should be commended. All in all, this was 20 minutes well spent and I recommend checking this episode out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101031567090331/k2311a031/3.1.12