The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 56: Masquerade  » TV  »
  • I know I'm going to be eating my words some time down the line, but as of right now, the addition hasn't repulsed me or filled me with rage

• by David Finniss

The synopsis for this episode filled me with dread. If there’s one concept in this show more loathed than Slimer, it’s the Junior Ghostbusters and this is the episode that plants the seed for that concept. I was all ready to hate this episode and bash on it for the ridiculous idea, but it actually surprised me and turned out to be…pretty good.

I was hesitant to see another bullied nerd character. The last one that hired Slimer was fine, actually my first thought was that they should’ve just brought him back but Kenny doesn’t come off like a rehash at all. There are a few similarities, but they are different people. More than that, Kenny was a good kid. It’s hard not to like him.

Even when he does get in the way, it’s only because he got excited and wanted to help. It was hard to fault his enthusiasm and his desire to be a Ghostbuster. Heck, most kids have been there (I’m still there), so it makes him easy to connect to. Even if you don’t want to, you still find yourself both sympathizing and empathizing with him at the same time.

It was really surprising to see Peter show a softer side. We know he isn’t a total jerk, but he didn’t seem like the type who would get along with kids. As it happens, he’s actually quite good with them. Seeing him show Kenny around the firehouse was one of the highlights of the episode as we saw ...

• a different side of the guy.

The one thing I don’t get is why Egon goes through so much trouble to build a high tech air freshener. As far as tools to battle ghosts are concerned, coming up with something to deal with the after scent shouldn’t really be high on their priorities. They have sprays for that. More than that, the device highly unstable and could wipe out the city. Leave it to Egon to develop an atomic air freshener. I get that they needed something that sounded harmless to justify Peter giving it away as a souvenir, but it was a tough concept to swallow. They probably could’ve given the kid a PKE meter and accomplished the same goal, after all, those devices have

proven to be highly explosive at times too.

By all accounts, this episode shouldn’t have worked. Somehow, the writers pulled it off. It managed to rob me of my preconceptions and actually entertained me for the entire runtime. There was no cringe worthy moment that ruined the episode. Even moments that could’ve been cornball work within the context of the episode. I’m going to hate myself for saying this, but as of right now, I’m not averse to Kenny returning in some future episode. He was likable and it was nice watching the team interact with him. I know I’m going to be eating my words some time down the line, but as of right now, the addition hasn’t repulsed me or filled me with rage.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101031567060331/k2311a031/3.1.12