IPCop Firewall 2.0.3  » Software  »
  • After a while I found Copplus (Cop+), an addon which provides Dansguardian with a web GUI to configure it

• by protoboard

IPCop is a Linux distribution that provides a firewall among other network utilities (like proxy, dhcp, dns servers and vpn gateways) aimed to be used to protect the network it is installed on. Most of the network utilities used by IPCop can be found in almost any Linux distribution, but IPCop comes with a web interface that can be used to control and configure the system. I’ve known about IPCop for over a year but I had not used it until a couple weeks ago when we needed to block acces to certain sites (e.g. social and chat sites) at work and decided to give IPCop a chance.

The latest stable version of IPCop is 2.0.3. That’s the one I’ve tried. The installation disk is really small, just about 60 megabytes. The hardware requirements are very

low too: 486 CPU or better, just 512 megabytes of harddisk space, only 64 megabytes of RAM and two network interfaces, one to be connected to the local network and another to connect to the internet, (although it could only be one network card depending on your configuration). The installation process is pretty simple and straightforward, it only ask you a couple of questions about your network interfaces (like connection type, IP addresses for your network cards and the default gateway). I installed it on a virtual machine configured with two network cards and 512 mb of RAM and the installation took place in just 5 minutes.

The installation is the easy part, after that I configured the firewall. At first I didn’t knew how to access the web interface, after the installation finished the system ...

• didn’t point me where to go so I have to take a look on IPCop’s documentation (located at IPCop’s webpage www.ipcop.org). I access the web control panel and from the services menu I started the web proxy, then configure all the computers on the network to use that proxy and like that I had internet access on all my computers. After that I configured the firewall to prevent the network to access certain websites. Configuring the firewall wasn’t as easy as starting the proxy server. I didn’t fully understand the documentation so I have to ask Google. After checking out a few sites I was able use the firewall to block the sites I wanted.

A cool thing about IPCop is that it’s functions can be improved installing different addons, although it’s not easy to find

info about this addons. Besides the firewall I wanted to have content filter. I knew there was a Dansguardian addon for IPCop so I searched for it on Google but most of the search results didn’t worked for my version. After a while I found Copplus (Cop+), an addon which provides Dansguardian with a web GUI to configure it. Installing the addon was easy (following the instructions provided on Cop+ official website), but I haven’t been able to install any other addon to IPCop.

IPCop is a firewall that just works. It’s easy to install but it can be a little difficult to configure. By installing addons it can do many other things that the default install can’t but it’s not easy to find and install those addons. I hope IPCop improves this feature on future releases.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3028021566480229/k2311a0228/2.28.12