Kodak ZE1 Digital Camcorder
  • To start off with, what I like most of all is the format it records in
  • I find that the problem with most of these handheld camcorders is that they record in AVI or another format
  • Other than that, I find the only major issue is the internal storage
  • Be prepared to buy a SD card because you will definitely need it for this camcorder

• by MisterTickle

The Kodak ZE1 is actually pretty unique in its own way. I did notice several benefits of this camcorder over others. I will get to that later. Firstly, this camcorder is very small. It is roughly the size of a small phone, but the width is just slightly smaller while the length is slightly longer. This camcorder has a four times zoom, which is sufficient. It has a 16:9 ratio, which doesn’t really concern me as I can just re-size it through the use of a video converter. According to the description, this camcorder is capable of recording in full high definition (HD). I’m not sure if they actually deliver this part, but I doubt it. Recording quality is decent, but not great. I will touch upon that more later. The internal memory

is probably my biggest disappointment. The internal memory is a mere 128 MB, which isn’t nearly enough. It may be good for a couple of minutes of video recording or for photo capturing, but not enough if you are going to go over half an hour total in video recording.

To start off with, what I like most of all is the format it records in. Its default record setting is in MP4, which saves me a lot of trouble of converting. I find that the problem with most of these handheld camcorders is that they record in AVI or another format. This is really annoying because then I have to convert it into MP4. It would probably be better if there was an option for me to choose which file format to use.

• Unfortunately, that is not possible.

In the box, I found the camcorder. Also included is a power adapter for charging up the battery. Also included is a wrist strap, which I find helpful. There is a quick start up guide that goes through all the basic components such as caring for the camcorder and how to use it. This is all very straight forward. Next is a disk where I have to install the software. This whole process was actually pretty fast. The set up guide was a bit confusing. I find that the instructions aren’t very clear actually. This can definitely be better.

The actual performance is great. This camcorder does everything it is supposed to do. It can record videos and take pictures easily. Of course, this is after I added a

SD card because the internal memory simply isn’t enough. I find that the quality may not actually be HD. It is clear, but I find that the focusing isn’t great. In the end, I wouldn’t fully take in the “high definition” if I were you. Other than that, I find the only major issue is the internal storage. Be prepared to buy a SD card because you will definitely need it for this camcorder. 128MB is sufficient for taking photos as photos don’t take up a lot of space compared to videos. However, it still depends on how many photos you are going to take. I still find that it would probably be wise to get an SD card because running out of memory while you are in the middle of using it isn’t really pleasant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1627021566370329/k2311a0227/2.27.12