The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 42: Bustman’s Holiday  » TV  »
  • It's a convenient way of foregoing any sort of emotional grief and just getting on with the story
  • I know, he lives in New York, but he could still have a freaking castle to visit every once in a while
  • I found myself laughing quite a bit, which is a good thing when you're going for funny
  • Still, with a half-life of 5,000 years, I don't think one night of heavy fire would be enough to burn them out

• by David Finniss

After the heavy, serious tone of the Cthulu episode, we get a more lighthearted adventure. It may not be as epic as the last episode, but it is certainly enjoyable in its own right. In fact, the humor is actually quite welcome.

This episode takes the team to Scotland, where Ray apparently has family. An uncle dies, and leaves his castle to Ray, revealing that Ray’s family is royalty. I’m not sure how well this gels with what we’ve learned of Ray’s family up until now, but Ray mentions that they never met and they only communicated via mail. It’s a convenient way of foregoing any sort of emotional grief and just getting on with the story.

I’m kind of sort of, but not

really surprised that Ray more or less abdicated the throne. I know, he lives in New York, but he could still have a freaking castle to visit every once in a while. He could even have advisors who handle most of the day to day work. It’s possible the title is more of a figurehead position, though to Ray’s credit, he did take it seriously. Not to mention the extra money the position would give him.

Speaking of money, Ray seems to be doing pretty well for himself. Not only did he offer to spend 2 grand on electronics equipment, but he offered a group of about a dozen workers a hundred bucks each to help out. Even with the ...

• high tech, the team always seemed like they were just getting by, but apparently, at this point, they’re doing well enough that they can spend that kind of money without concern.

This episode’s primary draw is the humor and the jokes all work well here. I found myself laughing quite a bit, which is a good thing when you’re going for funny. The only thing that I found bizarre was Ray’s bike ride through the battlefield. The various poses or whatever seemed like they were going for something slapstick-ey, but it wasn’t consistent with everything else.

I’m also not sure about the idea that the proton packs lost their charge. We’ve seen them short out a couple of times, but we’ve never introduced

the idea that they had a limited capacity. It builds up some tension, I guess, but it was probably meant to be an indicator that they’ve been firing all night. Still, with a half-life of 5,000 years, I don’t think one night of heavy fire would be enough to burn them out. Yeah, I’m using a fact that hasn’t been established yet, but I don’t care.

This episode was entertaining. It put more of a focus on humor and it made for a nice counterbalance to the episode that came before it. It was fun, it made me laugh, and it kept me engaged throughout the entire runtime. All things considered, it’s not a bad way to pass the time for 20 minutes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1027021566320329/k2311a0227/2.27.12