Quantum TR100-CTDB-S1BA Back Up Drive  » Electronics  »
0.5
  • It has a USB 2.0 interface, which I probably regret getting now
  • In the box, I found the hard drive itself
  • Unfortunately, I cannot just open up the metal casing
  • There are so many better ones to consider

• by MisterTickle

The Quantum back up drive is simply just a 1 TB (terabyte) hard disk drive that is capable of backing up my computer. The device looks pretty tough and hardened so I assume that it will be pretty durable. It’s actually pretty well equipped with a simple design and the back with ports conveniently placed so I don’t have to worry about crowding.

This drive is by Quantum. It has a USB 2.0 interface, which I probably regret getting now. Further more, the it uses a hard disk, which also means that it needs a power adapter and needs a separate plug. In the box, I found the hard drive itself. There is a USB cord for file transferring. Also, I found four power plug adapters in the box. I guess this is for the different types of power plugs in various countries. Lastly, I found a set up disk and a start up guide.

This is just pretty much it.

I actually kind of regret the USB 2.0 port. For starters, it is very slow, especially since I am transferring a few gigabytes of data all at once. It’s pretty tough just to transfer five gigabytes. Windows’ estimated time to completion of the copying is six hours. This actually fluctuates a lot depending on the speed. I opened up the details and I find that the speed also fluctuates a lot. For a short period of time, I was pretty amazed to see a speed increase and then all of a sudden the speed just dropped. Right now, I see the speed fluctuating so much, I don’t even bother keeping track. I don’t even know what the average speed would be considered to be. I find that small file transfers such as a few megabytes, maybe fifty tops, would be more efficient as the transfer speed is much higher compared ...

• to transferring large files all at once. Since I don’t have the time to just sit in front of my computer and waiting until one transfer is complete before starting another one, I just transfer a whole bunch of them at once and just wait. This probably isn’t very efficient, but it will have to do.

Also, noise is another thing I noticed. After taking a closer look, this hard disk relies on a fan to reduce the heat. This is simply inefficient and annoying. The fan is turning really fast basically and I hear a lot of noise. It is just a constant background humming like noise. First of all, it is annoying. Second of all, it is pretty loud after adding the noise the hard disk makes while it spins to record all the data being transferred to it. There isn’t any heat sink or other cooling methods. This hard disk just solely relies

on just one fan that is maybe an inch and a half in diameter. This is just simply inefficient as if the cooling were better, the performance will increase as well. Unfortunately, I cannot just open up the metal casing. They have screws, but there are also some parts that seem to be welded together so I do not have the tools to actually open up the case and get rid of the heat build up.

In the end, this hard disk is not worth getting. There are so many better ones to consider. I would suggest getting a USB3.0 port for file transferring for optimal speed. Also, a solid state drive would probably be better because there would be less heat build up and less noise, which will operate smoothly. Unfortunately, solid state drives are a bit harder to find. They aren’t usually designed for this purpose. Still, this hard drive is not worth getting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1624021566200329/k2311a0224/2.24.12