Nehu Hinano Paddle - Kialoa Paddles  » Other  »
  • I paddled for my high school paddling team during freshman year, and it definitely took me a while before I got decently good at paddling
  • Come sophomore year, I decided it was time to get a paddle of my own, as I was sick and tired of using the school's ten pound (or that's how it felt anyway) plastic and aluminium paddles
  • Anyway, I looked around at all the paddles, and decided that I liked the Nehu Hinano paddles by Kialoa the best
  • It feels so comfortable to use, and it has just the right amount of weight (I know they go lighter)

• by Keanu

I paddled for my high school paddling team during freshman year, and it definitely took me a while before I got decently good at paddling. I honestly wasn’t even that great by the end of the year. I didn’t have my own paddle or anything, so I just used the school paddles.

A lot of other people did as well, so it wasn’t a big deal. Come sophomore year, I decided it was time to get a paddle of my own, as I was sick and tired of using the school’s ten pound (or

that’s how it felt anyway) plastic and aluminium paddles.

I went to a local paddling store called Island Paddler, which is where a lot of other people on the team got their paddles. I decided I wanted a carbon fiber hybrid paddle, meaning a wooden shaft and carbon fiber blade.

These are pretty much as light as it gets, which is something I really wanted, as I was tired of using really heavy paddles. They kill you during the long distance races.

Anyway, I looked around at all the paddles, and decided that I ...

• liked the Nehu Hinano paddles by Kialoa the best. They felt really good in my hands, they were lightweight, and they looked really nice too.

I decided to buy one for $230 dollars, the original price being something like $250 (the price off the website is $266). Come the next day of practice, it was time to try it out, and I was really anxious to see how it felt.

I immediately could tell the difference. It was almost like not having a paddle in my hands at all–that’s how light it felt.

Burying

the blade deep (an important part of the stroke) was a lot easier, probably because of the shape of the blade. It feels so comfortable to use, and it has just the right amount of weight (I know they go lighter).

One thing I did have to get used to was the changeovers, because the paddle is a lot lighter. If you are not careful, it will slide right out of your hand on a windy day.

Other than that, I love the Nehu Hinano. I can’t really imagine going back to any other paddle.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1224021566190329/k2311a0224/2.24.12