Great Jones Spa  » Business  »
29 Great Jones Street, New York NY 10012
  • For Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend and I decided to treat each other to a massage and a day at the spa
  • We were very disappointed to find that the sauna was out of order as we were looking forward to enjoying both that and the wet heat of the steam room
  • We both enjoyed our massages as this was our first time getting them, but I do think that there should be some more variety between the different types of massages, since they are labeled differently and supposedly have different techniques attached
  • We were impressed a few days later, however, when our muscles still felt a bit sore from the handling they received

• by agoobacha

For Valentine’s Day, my boyfriend and I decided to treat each other to a massage and a day at the spa. New York city has a lot of varieties, however Great Jones came up over and over again because of their additional amenities. Besides the various treatments that they offer such as massages, facials, manicures, pedicures, and body wraps, they also have what they call a water lounge, which consists of a sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool, and a hot tub. If you purchase any treatment over $100 you are allowed to spend as long as you please in the water lounge, something that really appealed to us because we did not want the relaxation to end after an hour long massage and could not afford to pay for more than one treatment.

The spa looks pretty small on the outside but is surprisingly large as it extends three floors beyond ground level. The first two levels are locker rooms, and the third is

the water lounge area. The locker rooms are beautifully done, offering digitally locking lockers, water with lemon, snacks, unlimited towels, robes and even a selection of combs and hair dryers.

The lighting is thoughtfully kept low to continue the feeling of relaxation even into the changing rooms. As we arrived a few hours before our massage to enjoy the water lounge, my boyfriend and I were pretty much the only ones there aside from a stray couple or two that passed by. This was 3 o’clock on a Monday, however, and I would expect that this place fills up on weekends or in the evenings.

We were very disappointed to find that the sauna was out of order as we were looking forward to enjoying both that and the wet heat of the steam room. We headed into the steam room for a nice detoxifying steam. The room isn’t huge but there is a good amount of space to stretch out and we had fun ...

• taking in the steam.

I could not handle more than 15 minutes, but my boyfriend stayed in for about thirty. After we jumped into the cold plunge pool which was very refreshing and snapped us out of the heat induced haze of the steam room. We felt very relaxed, almost delirious after that so we spent some time relaxing on the lounge chairs that are spread out across the lounge area.

There is a sky light so it gives the feeling of being by the pool, even though this was pretty much the dead of winter. There was a nice selection of organic teas that we took advantage of as well as some snacks of dried ginger, apples, and cashews. Eventually we took advantage of the hot tub too and got a preliminary massage by the jets which were surprisingly strong.

At the appointed time we went to our massages, I had the aromatherapy and my boyfriend got the deep tissue. Although my massage was

very nice, I did not feel that the aromatherapy was used as much as I expected, in fact it was simply in the oils which are traditionally used for massage. When I spoke to my boyfriend we discovered that our massages were pretty much exactly the same, except that I had lavender scented oil and he had an unscented one.

Also, because he was looking for a very deep tissue massage he was a bit disappointed because even when he asked the masseuse to go harder she informed him that she did not think a more painful massage was better and continued doing what she was doing. We both enjoyed our massages as this was our first time getting them, but I do think that there should be some more variety between the different types of massages, since they are labeled differently and supposedly have different techniques attached. We were impressed a few days later, however, when our muscles still felt a bit sore from the handling they received.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4124021566090229/k2311a0224/2.24.12