The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 33: Don’t Forget the Motor City  » TV  »
  • The team is called in to take care of the problem
  • You know, we've seen Egon make modifications on the fly before, I know he said that with trial and error it could take days, but at the same time, the idea never even comes up
  • I prefer the more dialogue based humor (and that was much more present here) but if you can pull it off, I can enjoy the wackier material now and then
  • While I enjoyed the previous episode immensely, the light hearted tone of this episode was refreshing

• by David Finniss

After the epic and action heavy previous episode, we get a more comedy focused plot that manages to be wildly entertaining, even if the world doesn’t hang in the balance. The plot here concerns gremlins, who are wreaking havoc in an auto manufacturing plant. The team is called in to take care of the problem.

The gremlins themselves aren’t particularly menacing, but then again, they’re not supposed to be. They come off as more mischievous, even though their mischief puts many lives in danger. Once again, we find that the proton packs are useless for the very same reason that they were no good last time around. As these aren’t ghosts, the proton packs weren’t designed to catch them.

You know, we’ve seen Egon make modifications on the fly before, I know he said that with trial and error it could take days, but at the same time, the idea never even comes up.

The real highlight of this episode is the dialogue. It’s legitimately funny. Heck, even the more “antics” based humor works well. Normally, I find it vexing as it normally makes the Ghostbusters look inept, but they managed to find a balance here. I prefer the more dialogue based humor (and that was much more present here) but if you can pull it off, I can enjoy the wackier material now and then.

While I enjoyed the previous episode immensely, the light hearted tone of this ...

• episode was refreshing. It made for a nice counter-balance. I don’t know if alternating to keep the pattern going would work long term, but it worked well enough here.

The backstory of the gremlins is actually fleshed out to a pretty decent extent. Egon even goes back to their World War 2 roots and points out that they primarily like to sabotage machinery. It was a nice touch as the info was all pretty much in tune with how gremlins have worked in prior works of fiction, even going so far as to say that they really liked taking apart planes.

I did find it a bit odd that the exploding PKE meter from the previous episode seemed to do more

damage than an exploding car that was parked inside the firehouse. I guess that shows you the kind of equipment that the team works with, even the safe stuff can be really dangerous under the right circumstances.

You’ll be happy to know that Slimer is nowhere to be seen here, as such, there is no reason to complain about him. Everyone gets a break, awesome.

This episode was pure fun. It’s smaller scale and not as dramatic or epic, but it entertained me quite a bit. The jokes worked, the dialogue was spot on and all the characters felt spot on. All in all, it’s a great way to spend 20 minutes. This episode is worth a watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1023021565820229/k2311a0223/2.23.12