The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 29: Beneath These Streets  » TV  »
  • It gives the episode an air of mystery that I rather enjoyed

• by David Finniss

I was going to bemoan the fact that the episode opens with the Ghostbusters suffering from slow business. After all, that was a plot point in the last episode, but luckily, it gets quickly tossed aside as the plot gets underway.

I do mean underway in one of the more literal instances as this has the team descending into the sewers to investigate a mysterious viscous liquid. Even though the explanation turned out to be different, it really did remind me of “Ghostbusters II”. Of course, the movie hadn’t been made yet, but it’s possible that Aykroyd and Ramis drew some inspiration from this episode, at least as far as the whole “slime” sub-plot goes.

When discussing the last episode, I gave Slimer a reprieve, saying that he wasn’t all

that annoying. I put forth the idea that I’ve grown numb to it, but this episode proves that false. I knew it was too good to last, but I still hate him. He’s especially annoying here, not so much in unfunny gags, but in one particular scene where he shrieks at Janine for a good two minutes straight. It really is headache inducing.

Luckily, the rest of the episode is strong enough that it makes up for that. For a majority of the episode, we really have no idea what the cause of the strange phenomena is. It gives the episode an air of mystery that I rather enjoyed. Actually, the episode could’ve used a bit more runtime as things are wrapped up ...

• a bit abruptly, but the buildup was pretty well done.

The dialogue was also pretty strong. Venkman in particular gets to shine as he constantly reminds Ray that they aren’t being paid for this. The dynamic was very reminiscent of the movies and it was fun to watch. I also rather liked Egon’s technobabble being met with Winston figuring out that Egon had no idea what he was talking about. Heck, Winston even picks up on Egon’s overly elaborate description of axle grease. Considering he’s the blue collar everyman of the group, it’s pretty impressive.

I’m not sure about the whole “pillar of Manhattan” thing. It was a decent enough Macguffin I suppose, and its origins are left intentionally vague, but some more detail would’ve been nice.

I guess mysticism is involved, but I have a hard time believing that an island can be supported by a pillar. More than that, why hadn’t sewer workers come across this before? I mean, they’ve come across other buried artifacts and doorways, this seems like a rather obvious one.

All in all, this was a strong episode. The dialogue was tight and well put together, the plot varied things up a bit by focusing more on mystery than a head on confrontation with a baddie, and the episode did a good job of building up tension. It kept you engaged in the story and you wanted to find out more about what was going on. Also, while it clearly wasn’t intentional, the similarities to “Ghostbusters II” were fairly amusing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1020021565060729/k2311a0220/2.20.12