Chanel Le Vernis Nail Polish - Blue Satin  » Cosmetics  »
  • I like my nails to look neat and am not being particularly concerned about what shades are deemed fashionable, instead choosing to paint my nails in colours that I (and not the latest supermodel) like

• by roundabout

I like my nails to look neat and am not being particularly concerned about what shades are deemed fashionable, instead choosing to paint my nails in colours that I (and not the latest supermodel) like.  I bought a bottle of Chanel’s Le Vernis Nail Colour in Blue Satin as I’ve always loved Chanel cosmetics so was expecting something a bit special.

The nail polish comes in a smart square bottle with stylish black lid; the lid screws off and reveals a well shaped brush which doesn’t pick up too much colour with each dip into the bottle, it’s a fairly short brush but the bristles are in perfect proportion to enable me to apply it with perfect precision.  The colour itself is very thick, easily the thickest nail polish I’ve ever used, and this made it awkward to apply at first as I couldn’t keep the

polish in a neat shape on my nail.  With a bit of practice however I learned to love the thick consistency as once you’ve picked up the knack of application you’ll find the initial deep colour makes it much easier to get a neat edge right from the beginning.

The thickness of the polish means the colour goes on vividly and brightly from the very first stroke, the tightly packed bristles ensuring the colour is as well defined at the edge of your nail as it is on the centre.  This isn’t quite a navy blue polish, having a slightly brighter finish than I’d expect considering how dark it looks in the bottle - I love the vaguely matte finish as this look is bang on trend at the moment, however it can easily be brightened up with a couple of coats of a glossy clear ...

• polish for extra shine.  If you’re in a rush it’s completely possible to be able to do just one coat and still end up with well coloured nails, for optimum colour though I’d suggest at least two coats or even more as the colour deepens beautifully with each layer of polish.

The Le Vernis range of nail polishes are fairly slow drying, this isn’t a worry as they’re still touch dry within a couple of minutes but that’s much slower than other premium polishes I use.  It’s important to allow your nails to dry thoroughly between coats as the polish is so thick that if the first coat is still slightly damp you may find the brush drags when you come to apply the second.  I find leaving the first coat for three minutes will leave them dry enough for application of the second coat, although

for the polish to dry completely hard can take up to five minutes.

I’m impressed with how well this polish lasts on my nails; after two days there have been no chips or peeling of the colour and the blue shade is as vibrant as the day I applied it, I’m a busy mom with all the drudgery that entails so I think that’s pretty impressive!  It was on day three that I encountered my first small chip, this was easily fixed with a touch up of the polish but I noticed that fixing the chip left a tiny bump on my nail so larger (and more obvious) would probably not be fixable without removing the whole nail and starting again.  The total time I wore the Le Vernis polish for last time was four days, only removing it because I fancied a change of colour!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3114021564190129/k2311a0214/2.14.12