Jerson Desktop Coffee Cup Warmer (JSM03)  » Housewares  »
  • I don’t subscribe to the “you-are-what-you-drink” philosophy, as I’m uncommitted to drinking only either coffee or tea, but let’s just say I enjoy both, whichever is convenient
  • Like a bottle of beer that’s best enjoyed when chilled, coffee tastes great while hot
  • It later turned into a serious quest after having been disappointed by el cheapo USB warmers that were unsuccessful at keeping my mug hot enough, plus the repulsive, synthetic smell of burning plastic that accompanied them
  • To put it differently, I think the type of mug I use can either enhance or undermine the heating efficiency of the warmer
  • I recommend you keep yours warm too with this 14 dollar find

• by jhunie

Coffee is everyone’s vice. I don’t subscribe to the “you-are-what-you-drink” philosophy, as I’m uncommitted to drinking only either coffee or tea, but let’s just say I enjoy both, whichever is convenient. Like a bottle of beer that’s best enjoyed when chilled, coffee tastes great while hot. I have been on the market for one to bring to work since we got a cup warmer in the kitchen. It later turned into a serious quest after having been disappointed by el cheapo USB warmers that were unsuccessful at keeping my mug hot enough, plus the repulsive, synthetic smell of burning plastic that accompanied them. Only the Jerson desktop cup warmer was worth my coffee.

The Jerson desktop warmer, while it’s made for the corporate setting, is close to the one we have in the kitchen, and it makes good coffee that hits close to home too. It’s a bit of luxury in the office, really, when you think of stretching what once were a few precious minutes to longer sips of coffee heaven. I relish the

taste of warm coffee slowly, taking my time while smelling its relaxing aroma, and not get intoxicated, nor burnt, by drinking it all at once. The cup warmer maintains my mug at a desirable temperature, at which I approximate to be between lukewarm and kettle-hot. I would say it’s a tad lower than “espresso-hot,” if you can compare. The warmth of the mug decreases following a couple of sips, yet the coffee is still kept from becoming stale. I hate it once coffee gets stale because the brew starts to leave a bitter aftertaste in the palette. In case I forget to mount the mug back to the warmer, and it’s gotten lukewarm already, reheating the mug requires a longer stretch.

I note an apparent variability in the given heat settings in relation to its efficiency at heating different kinds of mugs. To put it differently, I think the type of mug I use can either enhance or undermine the heating efficiency of the warmer. The cup warmer has two buttons denoting the two heat ...

• settings: lukewarm and hot. I find lukewarm to be not warm enough so I always opt for hot. If I use those thick, opaque ceramic mugs, the hot setting doesn’t suffice for me. The coffee eventually gets tepid. Then I switched to the smoked glass cup I got last Christmas, which comes with a rubber lid on top, and it worked better with the warmer. I love my new mug as it is lightweight apart from its compatibility with the warmer. The reason for being, I suppose, is that the glass cup I own appears to be made of similar material as the glass kettle in coffee makers. As with USB cup warmers, they’re relatively ineffectual at heating my mug due to the poor wattage. I wonder why the manufacturer was too frugal to partner the warmer with a suitable mug.

The professional design is also worth a shot. The pod-shaped cup warmer looks swanky in black which hardly gets grubby. It has a robust construction and not plasticky like the

plug-it warmers I’ve had before. The heat conductive surface is raised a few inches higher than the shallow height of most saucer-shaped cup warmers, so it doesn’t burn the table top, and I’m especially aware how high temperatures can blow glass tables into pieces. It has its own wall adapter. The bottom features a kind of insulation or heat-resistant rubber padding. For something that should come from the kitchen, it befits the desktop label.

The cup warmer seems capable of dispersing the heat simultaneously as it keeps the mug warm, a positive sign given the propensity of most warmers to overheat, balanced by the temperature controlled office environment. USB cup warmers are particularly prone to overheating, the smell of which is alarmingly suggestive of burning appliances. I believe the cup warmer’s heat-resistant construction accounts for the absence of such smoldering plastic smell…nothing except the hearty aroma of coffee. I’m not a fan of instant tea bags so coffee does it for me at work. I recommend you keep yours warm too with this 14 dollar find.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 539021563470629/k2311a029/2.9.12