The Real Ghostbusters episode 24: Ain’t Nasa-sarily So  » TV  »
  • Unlike the last episode where tension was built by making the Ghostbusters look foolish, this one actually builds up a credible threat by showing them at a disadvantage without out of character screw ups
  • I guess the size of the creature was the main problem and by using more than one, they solved it
  • I hadn't seen this episode before, so this was a new experience for me and it delivered
  • This episode was great and I highly recommend it

• by David Finniss

After two pretty weak episodes, the show comes back in full force and shows us why this cartoon is still as enjoyable today as it was when we were kids. The episode is pretty much “Ghostbusters in Space” and it makes for quite the entertaining story. Part of me was hoping that it would be the ghost of an alien, but there’s nothing to suggest that it isn’t just a really weird looking spirit. It looks alien enough, so you could pretend it’s an alien if that makes you feel better.

Just like with “Mrs. Rogers’ Neighborhood”, this episode has a healthy balance

between humor and creepiness. Not only does it have the balance down, but it does both rather well. Even the more obvious jokes made are still pretty funny. Almost immediately, you can tell that the crew of the space station is meant to mirror the Enterprise to some extent. The characters are different enough, but the similarities are still there. It becomes obvious when Venkman starts talking about how they’re going where no man has gone before, heck the Captain even says that its a five year mission. As something of a casual Trek fan myself, I got a ...

• kick out of it.

Unlike the last episode where tension was built by making the Ghostbusters look foolish, this one actually builds up a credible threat by showing them at a disadvantage without out of character screw ups. While the ghost doesn’t steal their proton packs, it does manage to feed off the energy, which makes sense considering that it was feeding on the energy of the station. Egon says that conventional trap methods won’t work, yet somehow that’s exactly what they do. I guess the size of the creature was the main problem and by using more than one, they solved it?

I don’t know.

Another strength is the dialogue in itself. Whereas the last script was weak, this one manages to shine with clever dialogue and jokes that are actually funny.

I hadn’t seen this episode before, so this was a new experience for me and it delivered. I dare say that this is one of my all time favorites of the series as a whole. It ranks up there with the aforementioned “Mrs. Rogers Neighborhood” in terms of quality. More episodes need to take a cue from this episode because this is how its done. This episode was great and I highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 108021562970129/k2311a028/2.8.12