Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho  » Books  »
  • At first, I found this kind of writing interesting and exiting
  • It is really amazing what this book teaches you as you read it and how you end up respecting and admiring the character of Maria
  • I recommend this book to anybody old enough to understand sex, and it might give you a way to look at it that you have never seen before

• by Alberto

The original book is called “Onze minutos” and was written on 2003.

I want to start this review by saying that I am not a fan of Paulo Coelho, I do like the things he writes about but I do not like how he writes. Nevertheless, this does not mean that he is not a great writer. I picked up this book only because of the lack of anything else to read and was not expecting to like it so much.

This book tells the story of a Brazilian girl called Maria that goes to Switzerland with the promise of being a dancer and ends up being a prostitute on a high class bar in Geneva. Coelho wrote this book based on real events of various Brazilian

prostitutes working on Europe.

The writing of this book is very particular, Coelho writes this book with two different narrative styles. Mostly this book is written on a third person perspective, where the narrator sees everything and knows the emotions of all the characters but focusing on Maria’s emotions throughout the book. However, some parts of the book are written as Maria’s personal diary. Here the writing is in the first person, where Maria tells her own emotions of some previous events on the book with more emphasis on her emotions and thoughts. At first, I found this kind of writing interesting and exiting; but, as the book progresses, the diary entries become unnecessary and in some occasions, even boring. Nonetheless, the last entry of the ...

• diary of Maria in the book is incredibly well written, important, exiting and probably my favorite part of the book.

The plot of this book is original and exiting. Normally on books with themes such as prostitution, we are found on dark environments, with suffering and violence. This book changes that perspective and Coelho delivers a book that portrays prostitution as a normal respectful job where Maria is free. And little by little, Coelho transforms a book about prostitution to a book about love. Coelho shows us a different perspective of sex and through prostitution he shows the difference between sex and making love. Using philosophies of Plato, he describes to us what sex should really be. It is really amazing what this book teaches you

as you read it and how you end up respecting and admiring the character of Maria.

Paulo Coelho does an amazing job presenting you this character that you make a connection with. And through this character, Coelho teaches gives you a different perspective on the tabu theme of prostitution. It is the simple writing of Coelho, with a very strong meaning.

I read this book in about 2 days, after reading straight for 4 hours the first and 3 the second. The majority of the book had my complete attention and it always kept me interested and wanting to know more. I recommend this book to anybody old enough to understand sex, and it might give you a way to look at it that you have never seen before.

Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 178021562920129/k2311a028/2.8.12