Bose SoundLink portable wireless speaker system
  • This can be a bit of a disadvantage for non-iPod Touch users
  • If used with an MP3 player, you won't really get the full experience
  • I found out that Bluetooth's distance is really short

• by MisterTickle

The Bose SoundLink is the only one of its kind. It is a portable wireless speaker system. This offers flexibility, ease of use, and convenience like you’ve never imagined. The Bose SoundLink is just essentially a wireless speaker. It is roughly the size of a fiction novel book. Not the really thin ones, but more like a Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire size book. What I’m trying to say is that the speaker isn’t exactly super thin or anything. On one side of the speaker are six buttons. They simply just show the power, mode, Bluetooth connection, mute, volume up, and volume down. It is pretty straight forward. Now, one one of the larger flat sides of this is a cover, which slides out and act as a stand for the speaker. Once again, there really isn’t anything to it.

Now, this speaker runs on batteries. To me, this is great because this would make the speaker very portable. I don’t have to worry about putting it beside a power cord or

anything like that. The other thing is that I can practically just hold it in my hands or put it on my shoulder to make it look like some futuristic boombox. However, it is also possible to use a power cord. The speaker can actually work while charging so this offers a lot of flexibility. One of my concerns with the battery is the battery life. Since speakers will drain a lot of battery, I am worried that I will not be able to get a lot out of my battery. In the end, this really isn’t anything to worry about. I find that the battery is very strong and is capable of handling the pressure.

Now, the actual usage is a bit complicated. Before I can actually play music through the speakers, I have to do a quick connection first. I have to turn on the Bluetooth on my device and then I press the Bluetooth button on the speaker. This takes a while for it to connect actually. Now, the wireless feature ...

• is done through Bluetooth. This can be a bit of a disadvantage for non-iPod Touch users. Most portable media players do not have a Bluetooth option so you will have to use the auxiliary input instead, which is simply just plugging in a cable to the import socket. This means that you won’t actually be using the wireless feature. I find that this speaker system is best when used with the iPod, iPhone, or a tablet rather than a MP3 player. However, this doesn’t mean that this speaker can’t be used with an MP3 player. If used with an MP3 player, you won’t really get the full experience.

Now, one thing I would like to note with the connection. According to the specifications, the connection distance can be as far as 30 feet away. This is not possible actually. I found out that Bluetooth’s distance is really short. I played a song from my phone. After walking fifteen feet or so, I disconnected from the speaker. The speaker can no longer receive the song

from my phone. This means that my phone can’t be too far away from the speaker system. In a small room, I can place the speaker in one corner and stand in another corner and still be able to use the speaker system with ease. However, If I place it in the living room and I am in the kitchen, then I experience a weak signal.

Now, the sound quality is pretty good if I have a good connection. Bose does perfect the sound quality. However, as I move further and further away from the speaker, I start to anticipate a “fading” feel towards the sound. Not only that, but my songs are very choppy and with slightly longer and longer intervals of silence. Connection is a major factor to this speaker actually. For me, I find that the speaker is very useful for tablets. I can watch a movie on my tablet without ear buds and the speaker will do the rest. This is especially useful when the tablet’s internal speaker’s volume isn’t very loud.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 166021562450129/k2311a026/2.6.12