Garmin Nuvi 1490T  » Electronics  »
  • I love Garmin products mainly because of their reliability
  • I know that lane assist is pretty new and several models already have it
  • One problem is that once I’m in the subway, the signal becomes a weaker
  • This is a disadvantage especially when Garmin doesn’t have frequent updates available
  • I’m not sure if they have this feature on the 4.3 inch models, but if they do have it, I suggest you get it on the 5 inch GPS rather than the 4.3 inch

• by MisterTickle

I love Garmin products mainly because of their reliability. However, I was lucky enough to get the chance to use the Nuvi 1490T, which is a much newer model. This model actually has some very nice features that I have not seen in the other Garmin Nuvi models. They still have all the basic features such as ecoRoute calculations, pre-setting multiple destinations, traffic reports, and avoidances. However, the 1490T also has some new features. Lane assist is one of these features. I know that lane assist is pretty new and several models already have it. What you didn’t know is that this is not the lane assist where it just shows you the arrows and tells you to keep right or keep left. This one will actually give you a visual view of the street you are travelling on and will tell you when you need to turn. This way, instead of just prompting a distance you have left, I can actually see on the screen visually.

The other feature is the cityXplorer add-on. These two features are not seen on any other model, except lane assist is probably just an extension to the previous versions.

The box is quite simple actually. It’s simply a plastic casing with a placement for the GPS and its accessories. Now, The screen of this GPS is actually quite nice at 5 inches. However, the car mount is not good. I find that the car mount is really big and bulky looking. Of course, the main purpose is to secure the GPS in place. The suction cups can stick the a special disk which is provided in the bod or it can stick to the windshield. I have it on the windshield because I don’t want to peel and stick a permanent stand on my dashboard. Anyways, one of my dislikes is the car mount. I don’t like the arm as it is quite big. Other than that, I don’t have any dislikes.

Now, the cityXplorer feature is actually ...

• quite useful, especially when I have to use my car and city transit interchangeably. The cityXplorer feature is actually just a software (map) which can be bought for $9.99. After getting it, I followed the on screen instructions and got the map in the right place. This software will find my location and provide the local public transit system at my disposal. For example, if I am away from my car, I can still use the GPS to get to one place or another. The GPS will tell me which bus to take and where the bus stop is. One problem is that once I’m in the subway, the signal becomes a weaker. In the subway, the signal disconnects, but then occasionally I would see one bar popping up and then disappearing a little while later. I guess this would also be linked with elevation. The cityXploer feature is mainly designed for those that are not using their car. However, I find that there are a lot
        of small issues. For example, the transit routes are not fully up to date in all locations. This is a disadvantage especially when Garmin doesn’t have frequent updates available. This feature is good to have, but don’t expect to rely on it fully.

Now, the lane assist isn’t anything new actually. Garmin just has another view available. I find that this integration is very nice, especially on the five inch screen because I can view everything easily and clearly. I’m not sure if they have this feature on the 4.3 inch models, but if they do have it, I suggest you get it on the 5 inch GPS rather than the 4.3 inch. When the screen is smaller, the junction view isn’t very easy to see so it is a waste of a feature anyways. This feature is very nice and very helpful. I would say that this is a must have feature. Overall, this navigation system is very nice even though it only has a minor advancement in features.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1631011561300131/k2311a0131/1.31.12