Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Mascara  » Cosmetics  »
  • I like the “neat” job that this mascara does
  • In spite of the blown up proportions of the brush, the sumptuous extreme surprisingly improves on two of the common annoyances I experience from applying waterproof formulas
  • I have worn it from day to night with nary a problem

• by jhunie

For years, waterproof mascara has been my hero. Other formulas cannot hold a curl, and I have oily lids to make matters worse. Only waterproof mascara prolongs the curl without smudges. That belief has been so ingrained in my brain I became intolerant to other types of mascaras I perceived to be useless. Then again, it’s true what they say that waterproof formulas flake and clump. I let my guard down by trying a different mascara; nobody’s going to kill me for my disloyalty if I use the Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme mascara, right?

Truth be told, mascaras don’t have to be waterproof to come up smelling like roses. The Estee Lauder sumptuous extreme mascara liberated me from using waterproof mascaras forever. It just occurred to me that I had actually tried a waterproof mascara by Estee Lauder before. I don’t mean to be biased, but I guess it just doesn’t matter what type of mascara you

buy as long as it’s from Estee Lauder. Mascaras come up with all sorts of superlatives. Don’t take the mouthful of adjectives (sumptuous, extreme, lash-multiplying) literally because this mascara is more toned down than you think. It supplies the right amount of volume and length. My lashes look their best without trying too hard. I like the “neat” job that this mascara does. It’s a breather from the cut-throat, faux lashes look.

The most prominent feature of the mascara is the size of the wand. Let me just say, how could I not ignore the wand? It’s one giant toilet cleaner (excuse the pun). How could I not flinch at the sight of the wand without fearing of getting my eyes poked? In spite of the blown up proportions of the brush, the sumptuous extreme surprisingly improves on two of the common annoyances I experience from applying waterproof formulas. First, it doesn’t clump easily.

• The ink’s consistency is somewhat whipped. I like that it doesn’t coat my lashes like glue. The brush takes credit too because it’s good at evenly distributing the ink and combing out each lash at the same time. Waterproof formulas are very thick so I often have to go easy on the wand; otherwise, the clumps show up right before my eyes. Second, it is possible to apply 3 coats of this mascara with hardly any flaking. In short, this is way easier to apply than waterproof mascara.

I don’t think it gets any bigger when it comes to volume though. I have long lashes maximized by waterproof mascaras. The sumptuous extreme looks pretty “laidback” on my long lashes. The result pales in comparison to the thickening effect I get out of waterproof mascaras. If you want something bold, say, like a pair of falsies, this mascara is a bit demure to put up a

show. I am referring to the Extreme Black shade. In the hands of a different wand, the rich black shade could have easily been overdone. The mascara delivers moderate thickening for my already dark lashes. But, as in literary terms, the mascara doesn’t have the wit of volumizing waterproof mascaras.

This is the point when I stop complaining. It has totally beaten the purpose of wearing waterproof mascara as it bears up my oily eye lids. I have worn it from day to night with nary a problem. It never turns my lashes crisp like burnt wick. Most of all, it holds up the curl of my lashes. The brush has criss-crossing fibers. The wand is as straight as hell, but its profile slims down to the very tip of the wand. The no. 1 reason I would recommend this mascara is because of its non-troublesome application. The good quality befits the 24 dollar price tag.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3130011561130231/k2311a0130/1.30.12