Canon Pixma iX6560 Photo Printer
  • The noise reduction significantly gives the image a soft focus, but I like my photos slightly gritty
  • The printer consumes the ink reasonably, I think, considering the astounding quality of the results

• by jhunie

My work sometimes requires me to make my own prints. Right now printing photos has sprung from a desire for creativity. I’ve been printing mostly family portraits and unimportant mugs in big sizes, snapped from my camera. I mean bigger photographs worthy of a “private” exhibit on our walls. I must admit it was the Canon Pixma iX6560 that started it. The iX6560 prints A3 sizes and approximately up to 19 inches in printable length. My siblings made concessions to buy us a new photo printer at home.

I could have easily fooled anyone in convincing that I had my photos processed commercially. I’ll rate the quality of the prints to A++. Really, the printer is excellent. I hardly touch up photos, so they’re printed as is. My eyes cannot stand the brightness of my laptop monitor

fixed to the lowest. Hence I was floored when I saw the first photo transformed into a vibrant hard copy of the dim display. The picture had so much clarity. Some darker pictures exhibited the rawness of their digital versions, with so much detail. In fact I had picked out some minute details in 4R prints which I failed to notice before. It goes without saying that the pictures truly have this professional polish to them. The canon software presents the option to increase the sharpness and brightness, but I don’t see a big difference. The noise reduction significantly gives the image a soft focus, but I like my photos slightly gritty. Lastly, the rich hues simply take my breath away.

The iX6560 prints pictures at an average speed (the HP printer at the office averages at 30 seconds

per photo). The speed has doubled in relation to sublimation printers of course (remember the repetitive Selphy?). I printed 4R sizes in less than 40 minutes. Large A3 sizes last up to 2 minutes. I like that the printer at a normal mode handles the paper smoothly. It feeds itself and prints unhurriedly. I have this HP printer that almost rips the paper like a shredder, and spits it out – not on the receiving tray – but on the floor! Sizing is very comprehensive, which enables me to print some of my pixel-packed photos. A bigger size means the original density of a photograph can be retained or that it undergoes barely any changes.

The relative printable sizing imposes a great deal on how the printer must look on the outside. It’s wide but incredibly light.

• Canon Pixma iX6560 Photo Printer
      Photo printers in the past exuded travel-friendliness, but the iX6560 seems destined for the desktop. The top is wedged at the corners to give a flatter appearance. The few buttons are typical inkjet printer controls, so there’s no need to study. The software has a lucid interface for anyone with average printer literacy. I like the convertible, layered arrangement of the top tray. It extends to a third layer with an almost obsessive symmetry, although it makes size comparisons difficult. The receiving tray is long enough to keep the paper in place. So far I’ve never tried third party photo papers other than the Canon glossies provided. And they’re worth buying again.

It uses a set of 5 inks. The green and yellow inks are running low at the time of writing. It had produced several

small-sized prints before the inks ran dry. But I’m grateful it accomplished the job of printing nearly all of last holiday’s photos. The printer consumes the ink reasonably, I think, considering the astounding quality of the results. I guess Canon hadn’t heard of AirPrint yet at the inception of the iX6560. The handsome printer entered the fray crippled in competition over other advanced printers with wifi functionalities. AirPrint enables printing wirelessly from iPad and certain iOS gadgets. But Canon probably thought it superfluous to add such a feature when the printer in question was intended for photography. Also, printing photos is still a laptop/computer-processed operation since most of us touch them up in image-editing software, so the USB connection is pretty standard. I recommend it personally (priced 250 dollars). The Pixma iX6560 is the Caravaggio of all low-priced, prosumer photo printers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1626011560660931/k2311a0126/1.26.12