Nook Color e-reader
  • The Nook Color is definitely an e-reader to consider
  • In my opinion, it isn't the best on the market
  • I like the concept, but the practical use is actually not so good
  • I guess the main goal for adding color is to make the reading experience more enjoyable
  • The Nook has Netflix and Hulu integrated, which I find very convenient

• by MisterTickle

The Nook Color is definitely an e-reader to consider. In my opinion, it isn’t the best on the market. However, it does have some features not seen on other e-readers. The main feature is the color touch screen display. This is actually not seen on any other e-reader.

The Nook features an 800 MHz processor. It has an internal 8 GB of storage, which is expandable. However, I actually do not feel the need to expand the storage. The Nook e-reader has a 7 inch capacitive touch screen. This means that it is possible to multi-touch with this e-reader. This e-reader accepts several eBook formats including TXT, PDF, and ePub. I was quite surprised to see that this e-reader also accepts XLS and DOC. On top of that, all major image formats are accepted and the MP4 video format is also accepted.

To me, I actually have a few dislikes. First of all, the color option is pretty good. However, I find that it is a bit useless. I like the concept, but the

practical use is actually not so good. I guess the main goal for adding color is to make the reading experience more enjoyable. However, after getting a book, only the cover of the book has color. Inside, the text is still black and white where the words are black and the background paper is white. In the end, the color does not enhance readability, which is a bit of a wasted feature.

The physical layout and the design is actually pretty good. The e-reader is very thin, which makes it very light and easy to hold. I can even hold it with just one hand actually. What I like most about this e-reader is its simplicity. Unlike the Kindle, the Nook only has just one button, the Nook Button. There aren’t a whole bunch of buttons covering the e-reader so this is one thing I like about it.

After using it for a while, I find that it certainly has a very nice reading experience. The display quality is very nice. By this, I mean ...

• that I have never encountered a blurry screen or text that can’t be displayed quality. Of course, this is only if I buy books through the Barnes and Noble store. I have added one of my own text files and it didn’t get displayed very well. There are some alignment issues and stuff like that. To me, the Nook has perfected its own file reading. However, it would be nice if Nook could handle third party files smoothly. Too bad this isn’t possible. I was quite amazed to see it read a Microsoft Excel file. Everything displayed nicely and I was able to easily navigate around. In the end, I find that the reading experience is pretty good, even though the color feature isn’t in use very much.

Now that I’ve covered the reading experience, this Nook can view images and videos. I find that these two features are pretty useless actually. The internal 8 GB memory simply isn’t enough to support pictures, videos, books, and other applications all at the same time. If

I build my library of books, I have to sacrifice video watching. If I want to watch movies, then I have to give up a lot of space for books. In then end, I can only use one or the other since I am not about to pay an extra $50 for a microSD card.

That’s is just my opinion. If you are ready to shell out $50 or if you have a microSD card, then you will most likely be using both the reading feature and the media playback feature. There really isn’t anything wrong with the media playback. I find that videos can’t fully cover the screen. It has to do with the resolution and dimensions. In the end, I have to watch movies with a slightly different resolution. The Nook has Netflix and Hulu integrated, which I find very convenient. I don’t have to go hunt for movies myself as I can just browse the whole movie database on the Nook. It is a good e-reader, but the capacity does introduce some limitations.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1623011559650131/k2311a0123/1.23.12