Vivitek Qumi Q2 Projector  » Electronics  »
  • I decided to go for the Vivitek Qumi mainly because of the size
  • I like the smaller size because it is very portable
  • However, there is still one more step before actually being able to experience the 3D
  • I noticed one thing about the performance though
  • I have watched 3D movies and they don't appeal to me that much so I don't think I will get it

• by MisterTickle

I have been shopping for projectors for a while. I’ve always wanted one mainly for entertainment uses such as being able to watch movies on a big screen. I decided to go for the Vivitek Qumi mainly because of the size. I first saw this projector on display in stores. The first thing I noticed was the size. I find that the thickness is slightly less compared to other projectors. The overall size of this projector is also quite nice. It is much smaller compared to the regular projectors you see. I like the smaller size because it is very portable. I can easily move it from one room to another.

I’ll just give a brief description of this projector. This projector has roughly 1 billion colors and the resolution is quite nice with a maximum of 1600 by 1200. To me, this is more than enough. It has 300 lumens and supports 4 data signals. One feature that is

available here, and not seen on any other projector, is the 3D option. However, there is still one more step before actually being able to experience the 3D.

The quality is actually pretty good. This projector gives me the feeling that it is very delicate. However, this doesn’t mean that the quality isn’t there. When I mean that this projector is very delicate, I do not mean that when I hold it, I can feel it cracking or the parts creaking and won’t hold in together. The quality is very good in the sense that the material is hard plastic. Not only that, I feel that the projector is very stable and everything holds together well.

The performance is pretty good as well. The projection is really good. The quality of the picture is very good. However, I still have to admit that the picture quality isn’t as nice compared to an HDTV. There are still blurry spots if I look ...

• at it up close. In general, it is possible to make out all the major outlines. Since I am not using it for professional use, the quality doesn’t have to be the greatest. I noticed one thing about the performance though. This projector tends to over heat. It builds up a lot of heat. Although there is a fan in the back, I do not find it effective in terms of fanning out the heat. When I touch the top of the projector, it is actually very very hot. This concerns me because I am a bit afraid of internal failure. I currently do not leave the projector on for more than three hours. When I watched a two hour moving, the projector was almost burning. I am exaggerating it a bit, but it really is hot. I have tried putting the projector on a notebook cooler and see if it works and it still isn’t very effective.

I actually did

not try out the 3D feature as I do not know how it works. This projector is 3D ready. This means that I still need other components to set it up and actually use the 3D feature. I simply do not want to bother with that. I have watched 3D movies and they don’t appeal to me that much so I don’t think I will get it. However, if you want to use the 3D feature, the manual says that a separate purchase of the DLP Link is required. I’m not sure what that is, but the manual provides more information where you can go to check this feature out.

There is just one more thing I dislike. The HD connection is done through a mini-HDMI port. I would like it if I could use a regular HDMI cable because this way I do not have to convert it with one end of a regular HDMI cable and the other end a mini-HDMI.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1620011559390231/k2311a0120/1.20.12