Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover  » Cosmetics  »
  • I think of cuticles like seams in dresses
  • I found most of the cuticles were stuck, and it felt like one of those moments when I got ripped off
  • I recommend this 4 dollar item with the proviso that you’re ready to put up with it for a couple of sessions

• by jhunie

I seldom touch my cuticles. I get my nails spruced up regularly by a professional manicurist. I wonder how they do it. Removing that lump of cuticle seems an intricate job. I think of cuticles like seams in dresses. Some like their seams tucked and tailored so as to be invisible. Others don’t nitpick about seams at all, like me. I think I can get away with skipping manicure for a time, my nails look alright. Then again I look at my shabby cuticles, and they blow it! I have the Sally Hansen gel cuticle remover to take care of that.

The gel cuticle remover renders my nails seamless. I just love seeing the margins of my nails sharply defined and well tucked. It took more than one session to really remove all the cuticles, though. With continued use, I’m able to safely tear away the overgrown cuticles framing my nails.

Some hard work was required to achieve a result comparable to that done by a pro. I had the edges truly ‘carved’ out deep. It made the surface area of my nails seem wider, with no snags when painting nails. I’m bestowed with too much keratin that my nails and hair grow fast and furious. The gel tidies up my nails, keeping the cuticles cropped and, if possible, out of view. It may not give impressive results at first try. I found most of the cuticles were stuck, and it felt like one of those moments when I got ripped off. The next time they’re likely to come off.

Contrary to what you might think, it can be time-consuming. Whereas instant cuticle-removing solutions and nippers finish the task in less time, the gel works like a nail treatment. You leave it on the nail plates for 2 to 10 minutes. Mine ...

• takes somewhere in between. Mind the time lest the gel would burn the skin. This is especially true when I’m stuck at cleaning one nail as my other fingers wait in line with gel atop the nails. You don’t want to max out to 10 minutes, and only begin removing cuticles thereafter. Hence it’s better to systematically go over each nail 5 minutes before the maximum wait time, so I don’t get overboard. I use the flat tip of a pusher, preferably sticks made of wood. Metal pushers scratch and nick the nail plate far worse. My nails are pretty narrow. I then shove the pusher sideways catching the frayed cuticles softened by the gel.

My under-prepped toenails have greatly benefited from this cuticle remover. I hardly get conscious about the condition of my toenails. Well, here’s a good start to a more comprehensive DIY pedicure. Nail polish has a way

of revealing the poor state of my cuticles. Cleaning them once in a while has me wearing open-toed shoes. Why not? Now I can sport sheer polishes and French pedi down there without masquerading my toenails’ lack of grooming.

I’ll add that you’ll have to rely on other stuff to moisturize your cuticles. I doubt the jojoba extract et. al. could prevent cuticles from drying out. Nails are bound to become brittle and cuticles scuffed if left to dry. The gel is too soggy to stay in place. The gel texture does go well with the distinctly restrained drag of a wood pusher. The pointy applicator also functions like a pusher but don’t bother. Controlling the applicator to dispense the right amount is frustrating at times. I recommend this 4 dollar item with the proviso that you’re ready to put up with it for a couple of sessions. As a whole, a worthwhile purchase.

Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3119011559230231/k2311a0119/1.19.12