IronKey D200 4GB USB flash drive  » Electronics  »
  • Instead, I decided to go for the IronKey because it has a fully metal casing
  • When I checked its properties, I was quite a bit disappointed to see that I only had access to 3.8 GB
  • I did not have to go download it or anything like that so this is very convenient
  • Other than that, this flash drive is definitely one of consider

• by MisterTickle

The IronKey D200 is a very durable, very secure USB flash drive. I used to own a Sandisk flash drive, but I had to get rid of it. This is mainly due to quality issue. The plastic casing was cracking and my flash drive was practically falling apart. Instead, I decided to go for the IronKey because it has a fully metal casing. This will protect it from damages. Also, it has a software encryption. I am not too interested in the software encryption as my flash drive holds just some documents, nothing of extreme value.

I don’t know the exact dimensions of this flash drive. I would say that it is just the size of any other flash drive. The IronKey is small enough to fit inside my pocket. It is much smaller than my phone. You don’t have to worry about the size

of the flash drive. Flash drives are usually very small. The color is a dark greyish color. It basically has the words “IronKey” written on it. At the end, there is a light signalling the connection and whether or not the flash drive is in use. When I am copying files, I can see the light at the end of the flash drive flashing. I guess this would be a signal that it is not safe to remove the flash drive yet.

I have the 4 GB model. I have to warn you that you are not going to get the full 4 GB. When I checked its properties, I was quite a bit disappointed to see that I only had access to 3.8 GB. This disappointed me a bit, but it turns out some space is reserved for the software for encrypting my files.

• In a way, this makes sense.

I am actually quite a bit disappointed by the transfer speed of this flash drive. I transferred one gigabyte of my photos to the flash drive. This process took quite a while. I even used a file transfer utility called “TeraCopy” to speed things up a bit. Usually, it would take maybe eight to nine minutes to transfer one gigabyte with TeraCopy. However, on the IronKey, it took much longer. It took me twenty minutes. This is why I conclude that this flash drive has a much slower transfer speed. For smaller files, I don’t really notice the slow speed. However, it is a bit of a pain for bigger files. This is something to keep in mind when you purchase this flash drive.

The next feature is the encryption. I actually am not really interested in this feature. I

don’t really have any important files I need to encrypt. However, I did try the encryption feature and it feels very nice. The encrypting process takes quite a while. Just like the copying process, bigger files take longer to encrypt compared to smaller files. However, if you are one of those people that are really concerned about your security and feel the need to protect your files, then the IronKey does a very good job with that. The software is already installed. I did not have to go download it or anything like that so this is very convenient.

This flash drive is good. It is very durable as it has a very hard metal casing. Not only that, it is very secure with a 256 bit encryption. My only dislike is the transfer speed. Other than that, this flash drive is definitely one of consider.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1619011559220231/k2311a0119/1.19.12