The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 movie - American version)  » Movies  »
  • Careful attention was paid to make the most visually interesting shots
  • Another slight problem I have with the film is the division of time between the two plots
  • There is nudity and graphic violence that is absolutely awful and disturbing, but it is, in my opinion, necessary to fully grasp the characters and what they are capable of
  • I wouldn't recommend this movie if you are easily offended
  • If you don't mind violence and want to see the best thriller of the year, definitely check this movie out

• by Melanie Noell

Relative newcomer Rooney Mara perfectly inhabits the role of Lisabeth Salander, the namesake character in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.” David Fincher’s adaptation of the wildly popular novel and 2009 Swedish movie is a wonderfully-cast atmospheric crime drama that will make even the bold squeamish.

I’m very glad Fincher chose a somewhat unknown actress to portray Lisabeth Salander because I was able to fully believe this character. I may not have been able to do so if they chose someone I was more familiar with because I would always be relating them back to a past role. Mara’s physical transformation combined with her effortlessness in portraying such a hardened, insane character made it hard to watch anything but her.

The movie also is beautifully shot, and each still seems like it could be a photographic work of art.

Careful attention was paid to make the most visually interesting shots; however, it’s not done in an obvious way where you feel like artistry is being pushed over substance. This film looks like it’s beautiful without trying too hard.

The plot itself is fantastic in the way it intertwines characters and subplots; the only criticism I have of it is that so much material is condensed into a brief two and a half hours making it difficult for the audience to grasp every little detail. A number of shots show the character reading text, and I was left wondering if I was missing some important detail since I couldn’t read fast enough. This is, after all, a crime drama, so I wanted to pay attention to the details in hopes of solving the puzzle. Although I correctly guessed ...

• half of the mystery, it was not for lack of the film brilliantly concealing it.

Another slight problem I have with the film is the division of time between the two plots. On one hand, Lisabeth and Craig’s character, Mikael are investigating the disappearance and possible murder of a single woman. On the other, in order to learn what happened to her, they are set on path to follow clues she has left about a man involved in several murders before her disappearance. Although the investigation of the woman’s disappearance is the main plot, it seems to get a bit less time than the other plot.

The movie is graphic. It will not only disturb just about anyone who watches it, it will likely offend at least a small portion. There is nudity and graphic violence that is

absolutely awful and disturbing, but it is, in my opinion, necessary to fully grasp the characters and what they are capable of. I wouldn’t recommend this movie if you are easily offended.

Another interesting point is that the ending differs from the book ending. I personally think it’s a better ending, and I love that they chose such a bold variant from the novel. Even if you’ve read the book, you may still have a surprise or two when watching this movie.

Overall, it’s a fantastic movie. I wish they could have broken it up into two so I could really grasp all of the information, but they did a very good job staying true to the important events, nonetheless. If you don’t mind violence and want to see the best thriller of the year, definitely check this movie out.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111011557531231/k2311a0111/1.11.12