The Real Ghostbusters: Season 1, Episode 20: Adventures in Slime and Space  » TV  »
  • I have to admit, I also got a kick out of the running gag that the Ghostbusters kept bringing up where they would repeatedly suggest just giving up and moving to Pittsburgh

• by David Finniss

Have I mentioned how much I hate Slimer and how much he annoys the bejeezus out of me, being an albatross around every episode? I have? Oh, OK then. One has to wonder what the logic behind this was. If one Slimer is incredibly annoying, what is there to gain by coming up with a story that centers around hundreds of thousands of Slimers let loose in the city?

Hard as it may be to believe, this episode wasn’t half bad. Yeah, the premise isn’t one I was particularly fond of, but there were enough strengths to make up for it. The dialogue stood out as one of the high points. Venkman in particular was in rare form, he has something

of a reputation for being a deadpan snarker, and that comes out in spades here. The result is rather glorious. I have to admit, I also got a kick out of the running gag that the Ghostbusters kept bringing up where they would repeatedly suggest just giving up and moving to Pittsburgh.

One other highlight was the references to the movie. At one point, the team goes to see the mayor. While there are some slight changes to his appearance, it’s made clear that this is the same mayor from the movies. He even references the terror dogs and marshmallow man incident from the movie. It was a nice touch, but I can’t help but wonder why he’d bring that up ...

• when there has been a lot more ghost activity since then, at least as far as the show is concerned.

Another one is a bit unintentional as the Mayor says that the media is calling it “Slime Square” as the area is covered with slime. This mirrors a line from Ghostbusters II when the team is talking to the mayor about Vigo’s shenanigans. It’s coincidence as this was made before the sequel came out, but it still amused me nonetheless.

The ending featured a nice shout-out to King Kong, made blatant, not only by the style in which the Ghostbusters face off against a gargantuan Slimer who is holding Janine captive atop the Empire State building, but by Venkman pointing out that Slimer’s presence leaves

less room for gorillas.

Speaking of references, there are quite a few. There is the aforementioned King Kong nod, there are three pedestrians who bear an uncanny resemblance to the Three Stooges, and Peter makes a remark that references Howard the Duck. That one pleased me more than the others as Howard the Duck is awesome.

By all accounts this should’ve been one of the episodes that I hated most, but it turned out to be pretty decent. The jokes were solid and I got to see the team blast Slimer from helicopters. I’ve gotta say, the show really should try to feature more of that. Anyway, there isn’t a whole lot more to say about this episode so I’m gonna wrap it up.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1011011557411131/k2311a0111/1.11.12