Hip Street Digital Text Reader
0.5
  • I was a bit disappointed to see that they do not have a built in dictionary
  • While viewing the text file, I noticed that the layout is very different
  • In the end, I do not recommend this e-reader

• by MisterTickle

The Hip Street Digital Text Reader is quite an inexpensive e-reader. Although this e-reader is cheaper compared to the major brands, it can still do quite a bit. This is a 4 GB e-reader, with microSD card capacity expansion. On the specifications page, I saw that this e-reader accepts all the major eBook and non-eBook formats. Some of the formats include ePub, Mobi, HTML, PDF, and TXT. There are a few more formats that this e-reader accepts, but these are just the major ones. I actually have a few eBooks from another device that I have transferred to the Hip Street e-reader to test out.

This e-reader has a 7 inch LCD screen. It comes with a built in speaker and microphone. The screen is touch screen so I can navigate with my fingers rather than pressing different buttons. It comes with

three features which are text to speech, clock, and bookmark. I was a bit disappointed to see that they do not have a built in dictionary. Just about all e-readers I’ve seen have a built in dictionary. It’s true that some dictionaries are better than others in terms of word capacity and accuracy. However, I am still disappointed just the same because no dictionary is present.

The actual performance of this e-reader isn’t the greatest. Just because it can accept many formats, it doesn’t mean it can display them very well. I’ve used all the text formats and I find that the TXT file format is probably the worst displayed. For the text file format, I created my own text file actually. I just typed a paragraph or two with some special formatting such as indentation at various places and alignment. While viewing ...

• the text file, I noticed that the layout is very different. Some things are rearranged. For example, the sentences of my paragraphs were cut off short on the right side. However, I didn’t have any trouble with the PDF layout. I copied an eBook I recently purchased, which was emailed to me in a PDF format. I copied the eBook to the Hip Street e-reader and I was surprised to see that the layout is exactly the same as if I were to view the PDF on computer. The only difference is that the text and the images are smaller because of the smaller screen on the e-reader.

The battery life actually isn’t the greatest. I am so used to the battery life on the Kindle, which can actually last a week on a single charge. This is not the case for

the Hip Street e-reader. I was barely able to get five hours out of it. I adjusted the brightness, which helped conserve the battery life a tiny little bit. In the end, I do not recommend this e-reader. There is no dictionary present so I must carry a small pocket dictionary with me along with this e-reader, which is very inconvenient. The battery life is very poor; it cannot even last me a whole day. Finally, the bookmarking feature isn’t the greatest. I ended up being a page off from where I left off. This e-reader has some minor glitches and a poor processor. I find that larger files take a longer time to open up. I do not appreciate this wait time. It is much better to spend a bit more and get an e-reader that comes with the necessary features.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 169011556940231/k2311a019/1.9.12