Vax Power VX 2 Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
  • I think this vacuum cleaner is excellent value for money and certainly copes with picking up all the dog hairs from my carpet, so it has a good power to it
  • I bought mine from Argos for about £70 but I now see from the website that the same product is for sale for only £54.99
  • I had a problem with the first one I had delivered (which I will explain about later) and Argos were happy to collect it and promptly replace it with a new one, so I would recommend Argos as a good place to buy it from although it is stocked by many retailers
  • When I was unscrewing it to get it back in the box to return it, I found a great clog of hairs in the tubing which I removed

• by Jeanne71

I think this vacuum cleaner is excellent value for money and certainly copes with picking up all the dog hairs from my carpet, so it has a good power to it. I bought mine from Argos for about £70 but I now see from the website that the same product is for sale for only £54.99. I had a problem with the first one I had delivered (which I will explain about later) and Argos were happy to collect it and promptly replace it with a new one, so I would recommend Argos as a good place to buy it from although it is stocked by many retailers. This is a very cheap price for a decent vacuum cleaner and I am pleased with it.

On the down side, I do not like having to assemble products when I buy them but this vacuum cleaner does come in several pieces which have to be screwed together. I am the kind of impatient person that gets bad-tempered over

having to assemble anything but I admit this was pretty easy and the instructions were easy to follow. This is a full-size, upright vacuum with a cylinder to collect the dust and dirt so there is no necessity to spend further money on buying bags. You lift a lever up and the cylinder comes loose and then you remove the lid to empty the dirt into the bin. You then slot the lid back on, which sometimes does not happen easily but I find that to be firm with it helps it go back on easier. I have found attempting to get the lid back on a bit irritating sometimes so maybe for the elderly who are not good with their hands, this might be a bit fiddly to do.

This machine really picks up well. I have a short-haired dog which moults terribly but this vacuum will pick it all up, along with lint and dust and dirt. It is satisfying to see what ...

• you have picked up through the transparent plastic of the cylinder. If I want to use the hose to do the ceilings, corners or the stairs I just take the tip of the hose from its holder and it is ready to use, without having to flick a switch or anything. The hose has a good stretch to it and if I stand on tiptoes I can easily clean the cobwebs from the ceiling for example. I can manage to do most of the staircase by leaving the machine at the bottom and going up with the hose section but I bring the machine to the top of the stairs to do the last few. It is a bit heavy so again, it might be hard to lift if you are not so strong, although it does claim to be lightweight. It has 2000 watts of power and 200 air watts. I do not know what air watts are exactly but it must just
        mean it has strong suction.

The first one I had lost its suction after only a few days and, as I said, I phoned Argos for a replacement. When I was unscrewing it to get it back in the box to return it, I found a great clog of hairs in the tubing which I removed. As I had already arranged to return it, I had to send it back but it does look like it was that clog that caused the loss of suction. I have used the new one for months now with no clogging but if it happens again I will know what to do. I had not vacuumed the carpet for a good couple of weeks or so before I used that first Vax I got so it had to cope with really thick hairs on the floor, which obviously choked the thing. I can recommend this machine as a very cheap vacuum cleaner that is particularly great for dog hairs.

Maria King says :

re : When I was unscrewing it to get it back in the box to return it, I found a great clog of hairs in the tubing which I removed
    I bought this vacuum from Argos clearance. At first it worked well but it repeatedly gets clogged up with fluff and hairs, not in the main tubing but in the channel between the main cylinder and the tube. This has to be manually cleared every other time I use it. Although it does work well until it gets blocked, it is too much hassle and I would expect better from Vax to be honest.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 539011556930231/k2311a019/1.9.12