Ectaco JetBook eReader  » Electronics  »
  • It has a lot of keys, which I dislike, but the size is great
  • However, I like the concept of this eReader keeping the options open and offering several features
  • The reading experience is actually pretty good
  • I'm a bit disappointed to see that they do not have their own store
  • This isn't the greatest eReader, but it is definitely one to consider

• by MisterTickle

I’ve actually never heard of the JetBook eReader until now. This eReader actually isn’t that popular. It only caught my eye when I saw it was on sale. The price of this eReader is actually pretty cheap. The listed price is $89.99. This eReader does one thing and one thing only. It displays books. I simply read books on it. It actually doesn’t have to be books. It can be files, documents, articles, or anything in the accepted file format.

This eReader is actually pretty well built. It has a lot of keys, which I dislike, but the size is great. This eReader has a 5 inch LCD screen. The overall size is 6 inch. The thickness is a surprising half an inch thick. To me, I’m pretty satisfied with the dimensions. They are easy enough for me to hold in my hand. I can actually hold it in just one of my hands. I do not have to hold it with both hands while using this device. This eReader is also quite light. It isn’t heavy at all.

This

eReader accepts quite a few file formats. It accepts all the major ones such as ePub, HTML, PDF, TXT, MOBI, and a few other ones. These are only the text file formats. This eReader can also view pictures. I actually find this option quite useless, but they do have it. They actually accept all the major picture formats. I was able to view JPG, BMP, and GIF images on this eReader. I have deleted the pictures because I don’t use it as a photo viewer. There is actually another feature, which is the music playback feature. It is possible to use this eReader as an MP3 player. I can listen to songs. Once again, I would say that this is a pretty useless feature as the eReader is for reading, and not for doing other stuff. However, for some, it actually may be useful. If you have audio books, then you can listen to books with this eReader. However, I like the concept of this eReader keeping the options open and offering several features.

I would like to note ...

• one thing. The internal memory is roughly 100 MB. This means that I can barely put a few files on it. I actually have to expand the memory through the use of memory cards. This eReader uses SecureDigital (SD) cards. They do not use microSD cards so don’t go out and buy microSD cards, because you will not be able to use them. If you are not going to put a lot of files on the eReader, then the current memory capacity should be fine. I was able to put seven files of mine on this eReader. These are all text files, not images or sound.

The reading experience is actually pretty good. I was quite satisfied with it. There are the basic options. I can adjust the brightness. I can also adjust the font sizes. This is great for those that have trouble seeing because it is possible to make the font as big as you want or as small as you want. I can’t image why anyone would choose a smaller font option, but it is available.

I find that this eReader keeps my choices open. This eReader comes with an internal English dictionary. The dictionary cannot handle complex and advanced words. However, I was able to find the definition of most words. The other feature is the translator. I like this feature very much, but it isn’t very well built. Some words cannot be translated so, in the end, I did not use it.

Other than the issues I’ve mentioned, this eReader is very cheap. It is great if you have a tight budget. I do not like how this eReader has a lot of buttons. I was hoping for something touch screen. However, I am not one to complain, especially at the current price. This eReader is very affordable and gets the job done. I’m a bit disappointed to see that they do not have their own store. However, it is still possible to buy books online from other sources and use it on this eReader because this eReader accepts the file formats. This isn’t the greatest eReader, but it is definitely one to consider.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 169011556890231/k2311a019/1.9.12