Toshiba Camileo BW10 Camcorder
  • In the box, I found the camcorder itself, a battery, a wrist strap, traveling case, manuals, and a few different cables
  • I know it does say high definition, but it doesn’t look like HD quality to me

• by MisterTickle

I received this camcorder as a gift recently. I’m actually only familiar with the Flip Video brand. I was quite surprised to see Toshiba making pocket video camcorders, especially waterproof ones. This is a 5 megapixel, waterproof video camcorder capable of capturing high definition videos.

In the box, I found the camcorder itself, a battery, a wrist strap, traveling case, manuals, and a few different cables. The battery is actually separate from the camcorder itself. I find that this has its advantage. In case I get a faulty battery or my battery life is no longer efficient enough, I have to option of cheaply replacing it, rather than sending it to the manufacturer to get it switched. This is probably the only advantage I can see.

There really isn’t any other feature left. This is a very simply and fool proof video camcorder. I charged the

battery for roughly 7 hours and then started using it. The capture quality is decent. It isn’t the greatest. I know it does say high definition, but it doesn’t look like HD quality to me. The HD resolution is 1280 by 720, but I still have my doubts. However, there are other recording resolutions as well. There is the FHD and the VGA recording options. Each recording option does have their own features. I find that the HD option is better, but the consequence is less video time. The better quality takes up more space.

In terms of the general recording quality, it is good for personal use. If you want to take some professional pictures or video recordings, then this camcorder may not be the greatest. The main reason being it does not have nearly enough effects and attachments for enhancements. I am not ...

• a professional photographer. I use one of these for personal use such as travelling. I find that they are very convenient. When I see something I want to record, I can quickly whip it out and record a minute clip easily. I’m actually not limited to only video recording, but I can also take pictures as well. This camcorder allows me to take pictures, even with zoom. The lens doesn’t exactly come out a lot and the zoom isn’t that significant, but I’m still surprised to see that zooming is offered on this camcorder.

There are a few other things I would like to note. I’m glad to see that the recording format is in MP4 and not AVI. I hate having to convert an AVI format file into an MP4 format. It takes time and it is quite inconvenient. Picture format is standard, which is

JPG. To transfer files from the camcorder to the computer can be done three different ways. There is an SecureDigital (SD) Card transfer option. There is also the USB transfer option. What surprised me the most is that there is a mini HDMI port on this camcorder. It’s true I can’t actually transfer the file, but I can play it on another system while retrieving it from the camcorder. I find this is useful because I can just plug this camcorder directly into the TV. There’s no need to connect it to the computer, transfer the file to the computer, and then play the file. It saves a lot of time and effort. My only complaint is the 2 inch screen. The 2 inch screen is hardly big enough to see what I am recording. I would like the screen to be a bit bigger if possible.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2012. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 163011555841131/k2311a013/1.3.12