Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara
  • It is one of the few Almay mascaras I have ever tried and I love it so much because it has one of the best consistencies of any drugstore mascara
  • The thing that I have to mention even though I have been singing the praises of this mascara is that I am not too impressed by the wand
  • However, I think the formula of the mascara more than makes up for it
  • I will definitely be repurchasing this mascara in the future

• by intensify

I recently purchased the Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara in Black. Initially, I kind of laughed when I saw this mascara on the shelf at the drugstore because I am the type of girl who will apply up to five coats of mascara as long as it does not start to clump. I just have always thought that more looks better and if I can even get my lashes to look a millimeter longer or the slightest bit thicker, I will put on another two or three coats to achieve that. When I saw this product, I was really curious to know whether the one coat suggested by the name would truly be enough to satisfy my mascara needs. That and the low price convinced me to buy this.

I love this mascara. It is one of the few Almay mascaras I have ever tried and I love it so much because it has one of the best consistencies

of any drugstore mascara. It is thick but not so thick that it clumps up. It is not a super wet mascara so I don’t have to worry about it getting messy. That said, it isn’t as dry a formula as something like the Revlon Grow Luscious (which I have a love-hate relationship with) so you actually feel like it is coating your lashes with product. Even though this is not a waterproof formulation, it does not smudge or smear. It is long lasting yet it comes off easily at the end of the day with a basic eye makeup remover (or even baby oil). It doesn’t smell weird. There are just so many good things to say about it.

I have to confess that this mascara does look great after one coat, but I am just the sort of girl who can’t stop there. I honestly think that this mascara looks best with at least two coats, if ...

• not three. I do not go beyond three because that is when I start to notice some clumping but fortunately it is not severe. This mascara also does not flake or cause any lash fallout whatsoever. Plus, I love the fact that this mascara does not make my lashes feel hard and crunchy. I can run my finger along my lash line after having applied this mascara and my individual lashes still feel quite soft. That sounds like a weird thing to want in a mascara but I just find that mascaras that make my lashes feel hard often result in more brittle lashes that break off over time. This one does not do that.

The thing that I have to mention even though I have been singing the praises of this mascara is that I am not too impressed by the wand. It just does not do much in terms of really helping to give me dramatic lashes.

I don’t like short wands at all in any brand of mascara. However, I think the formula of the mascara more than makes up for it. Also, it does not hold a curl as well as some other mascaras that I have used. It does a decent job at this but isn’t fantastic by any means.

Overall, I have to give the Almay One Coat Thickening Mascara a rating of an 8 out of 10. I will definitely be repurchasing this mascara in the future. If you are looking for something that will give you super dramatic lashes, this is probably not the product for you. However, if you are looking for a good mascara for a nice, natural look with slightly emphasized eyes then you will probably like this. It is just a good everyday mascara. I do not use it for big nights out but it is what I reach for before I go to school/work each day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3129121555090131/k2311a1229/12.29.11