Barnes & Noble Nook
  • For longer books it is definitely nice to not have to hold something heavy
  • I like having this control over the way what I am reading looks
  • One of my favorite features that I think will definitely come in handy for books that I have to read for school work is the “search” feature

• by intensify

I was recently given the Barnes & Noble Nook. This is the Nook Simple Touch, not the First Edition Nook that I am reviewing. It has been redesigned since the original came out. I had not previously owned any sort of e-book reader but I had of course heard all of the hype about the Kindle and the Nook and similar products. I read a ton of books so something like this seems incredibly useful to me however I was initially skeptical that I would not like this because I am just so used to the feel of a real book in my hand. Something about being able to turn real pages appeals to me. I did not think that I would like reading books off of what is basically a computer screen, but surprisingly I fell in love with the Nook the very first time I used it.

I actually really love the fact that this is a touch screen way of reading a book. It is easy to use. It is super light (which makes it very easy to

hold in one hand or balance on my lap while I am reading). For longer books it is definitely nice to not have to hold something heavy. It is just a well designed piece of technology that I have been using daily since I received it.

Something to really love is the Wi-Fi that you can connect to with this Nook. I don’t own an iPad but I’d imagine that this feature makes it much closer to an iPad than the original first edition Nook. I am on the internet constantly so Wi-Fi is a plus. I also like the fact that they the Nook has something called a “recommendation engine” from Barnes & Noble that basically suggests books to read based on the ones that you are currently reading. I am always looking for suggestions as to what to read next so it’s cool that this is built into the device. Something that may seem trivial but that I find awesome is that you can choose from six different fonts and you can also change the font size. I ...

• like having this control over the way what I am reading looks.

It is easy to turn pages by using the touch screen. There are multiple techniques you can use to do so. I was skeptical about liking this product for the simple fact that it no longer allows me to feel the physical pages of a book but it is actually quite surprising how satisfying it is to swipe the screen to change pages. You can also just tap on the right or left side of the screen to change pages as well. You can even add bookmarks to pages as you would with a real book. It changes the experience of reading but it does not ruin it and that is why I like this product.

One of my favorite features that I think will definitely come in handy for books that I have to read for school work is the “search” feature. You can search for words or passages within the book (kind of similar to how you can search on Google Books).

The only thing that I

absolutely do not like about the Nook is the buttons. This device is touch screen for the most part but it does have some actual physical buttons. However, these buttons are very stiff. You have to put a lot of pressure on them for them to work. They just aren’t as easy to press as something like the physical button on the iPad or iPhone. I can’t really speak to whether the Nook is better than the Kindle because I have never tried a Kindle before. However, I think it is a fantastic product and I highly recommend it to any avid readers. I am so happy to be able to carry around multiple books in one device. I am surprisingly okay with the fact that I am no longer turning actual pages physically but instead using a touch screen to read books. Overall, I have to give the Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch a rating of an 8 out of 10. It does not get a perfect rating because of the stiff buttons but I do like this product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1629121555080131/k2311a1229/12.29.11