Doctor Who: Season 3, Episode 4: Daleks in Manhattan  » TV  »
  • It should make the plot of the next episode very interesting

• by David Finniss

The Doctor and Martha arrive in the TARDIS in New York circa November 1930. Considering the Doctor’s been steadfast about taking Martha home, I’m not sure why they came here. One could argue that the TARDIS just took them there as they seem to have no knowledge of when they are until Martha looks it up on a nearby newspaper.

Not surprisingly, the Depression becomes a plot point as the pair come across a community living in Central Park. I’m sure nowadays, some might paint this as akin to the Occupiers, but this was made long before then and the circumstances are not quite the same. Though by that same token, the way the workers are portrayed, and the

way that “management” is, you could see a little of that in there too. It’s rather fascinating in its own way.

A scuffle ensues over a loaf of bread, and this allows the Doctor to meet and join the leader named Solomon (who aptly enough, settles by splitting it in half). This is one of the examples of Biblical imagery used throughout the episode. As this is the first of a two-parter, it doesn’t seem to go anywhere as of yet, but we’ll see if it becomes something come part 2.

I do like Solomon though. I’m almost certain that he’ll just be a one-shot character, but he’s likable and you get a good feel for his character in a short amount of time. As for lounge singer Tallulah, she took a bit more time for me to warm up to her, but she’s not too bad.

I was expecting the Daleks to remain behind the scenes for the most part, setting up some big reveal, however, the writers were aware that any surprise was ruined by the title, so they appear pretty early on.

Oddly enough, the Daleks aren’t quite what they were. They seem far more…soft spoken? Not to mention philosophical. Heck, one Dalek reflects on humanity with something that almost borders on respect. Sure, he says we’re still weak and inferior, but the fact that we got commended by a Dalek for anything is noteworthy in and of itself.

This gets taken a ...

• Doctor Who: Season 3, Episode 4: Daleks in Manhattan
      step further when the Dalek leader, Dalek Sec, reveals that he plans to bring Daleks to a new level, which runs contrary to their prior belief that they were perfection.

The pig-men were an odd addition. One might question Daleks keeping slaves around, considering they generally tend to kill first, but given how few they are, it makes sense for the most part as they needed numbers to get the work done on schedule. I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to take them seriously what with that episode of “Seinfeld” and all, but they aren’t featured too prominently.

The episode was just OK for the most part. For a Dalek episode it was a bit of a letdown, but it

had some emotional tugging as well. Tallulah’s reunion with her love interest, Laszlo was rather heartwrenching, I have to admit. I did catch the fact that he used the Doctor’s “I’m sorry, I”m so sorry” catchphrase. Oddly enough, the Doctor also apologizes to a character, but doesn’t use the line. Speaking of unused lines, the Daleks never yell “Exterminate!” I guess the writer felt like the tagline needed a break.

There was a lot of setup, which is not surprising, but the cliffhanger was pretty effective, as we see a new form of Dalek emerge from the old shell. The scene was complete with ominous chanting, making it appropriately dramatic. It should make the plot of the next episode very interesting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1026121554381031/k2311a1226/12.26.11