Unknown (2011 Movie)
1.5
  • My first problem with the movie is the relatively slow pace
  • I'm definitely glad I went to see this movie during matinee hours

• by Melanie Noell

The combination of Liam Neeson and so many comparisons to 2008’s “Taken,” I was more excited about 2011’s “Unknown” than I should have been based on the preview. Although I wasn’t really excited about the movie’s premise, I was still hopeful. It was a really big letdown.

There’s no way to review this movie without spoiling the big twist, so be warned.

My first problem with the movie is the relatively slow pace. Although it looks ridiculously action-packed (and it is), the story doesn’t progress quickly enough for

me. The big twist is at the very end of the movie, and by the time you get to it, it’s kind of a letdown. The movie has spent way too long building up to a twist that is less than jaw-dropping. Especially if you’ve seen the “Bourne” series of movies.

And that’s the spoiler. I actually hadn’t seen any of the “Bourne” movies, so I was at least somewhat entertained with the movie. After watching “The Bourne Identity,” I was floored at how much “Unknown” resembles the wildly ...

• popular Matt Damon movie. From finding the passports and money in the box, to their foreign sidekick, the movie would have been completely predictable had I seen “The Bourne Identity” first. The only difference is that the story actually progress in “The Bourne Identity.”

Despite being a blatant rip-off with a slow-moving story, there are some positives about this movie. Neeson’s performance is fantastic, and if there is anything in this movie that resembles the brilliance of “Taken,” it’s his performance. I guess it’s a good thing his performance

is impeccable since he really has to carry the movie. The rest of the cast also make the movie at least somewhat entertaining, so at least it’s not a total loss to watch. They add a slight twist by having his identity taken by someone else, but it’s still too similar to give it any points for originality.

I’m definitely glad I went to see this movie during matinee hours. The movie was well marketed by not revealing too much, but that’s just because there wasn’t really much original material to reveal.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121121553580431/k2311a1221/12.21.11