The Flaming Lips - Thanks To You (Song)
2.5
  • Throughout the first half of this track, the band return to a sound which sounds as if they’re really playing it safe so although the first half of this track makes for an average listen, there isn’t anything too special about it unfortunately
  • Similar to the problem with Can’t Exist, the largest problem that Thanks To You has is that it’s an incredibly bland song which really goes against a large reason as to why I like most of the Flaming Lips’ music

• by grimmy101

Thanks To You is a song by The Flaming Lips and the eighth song on their second effort, Oh My Gawd. Opening up with a clean guitar part, I’m slightly reminded of a tone Led Zeppelin would come up with on one of their earlier records until the vocals come in.

safe so although the first half of this track makes for an average listen, there isn’t anything too special about it unfortunately.

At around the two minute mark, the rest of the band comes in which helps to fill out the sound on the track, but the vocal delivery on the track barely changes so the song unfortunately retains its very cautious tone.

Even though the start of this track certainly ...

• showed some promise (Or perhaps I was just pleased because it sounded like a Zeppelin song), the band unfortunately lets it go to waste with this song.

As I said, I would not say that Thanks To You is a terrible song, but I can feel confident in saying that it’s another track where the band doesn’t take full advantage of their songwriting talents.

Similar to the problem with Can’t Exist, the largest

problem that Thanks To You has is that it’s an incredibly bland song which really goes against a large reason as to why I like most of the Flaming Lips’ music.

Overall, I would say that the band play it too safe with this track so the final result is one-dimensional to say the least and lacks anything unique about it which would make me want to go out of my way to hear it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1420121552780431/k2311a1220/12.20.11