Doctor Who 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver  » Hardware  »
  • The far greater problem is the battery setup
  • I don't know if they thought they were being cute, making you use a screwdriver to use your sonic screwdriver, but I don't like it
  • If you're a fan of Doctor Who, I recommend picking one of these bad boys up

• by David Finniss

As a newfound fan of “Doctor Who” I was quite excited when I saw that you could buy replica Sonic Screwdrivers. Granted, they don’t do all the cool stuff you see in the show, but I still figured that it would be fun to have. As I recently got one as a gift, I got to find out first hand, how much fun this little toy is.

Now, I got the Eleventh Doctor model, as opposed to the Nine/Ten or the “Future Ten” model. While I have no doubt that those are just as much fun, I’m more partial to this model. The extending claw gives it a bit of extra kick and I just like the design.

It’s more futuristic and sleek.

One might think that the novelty would wear thin after a while. After all, all it does is light up and make noise. However, that has not been the case for me. I still get a kick out of waving it in front of door knobs before I open the doors, or pretending to scan things. I don’t know why, I guess it’s just my inner child being let loose, but it’s quite a bit of fun.

It’s fun for people of all ages, I’m in my late 20’s and am enjoying it thoroughly and my 4 year old nephew also found himself having a lot of fun with it. He doesn’t even know what “Doctor Who” is or what the sonic screwdriver actually does, but he had fun playing with it nonetheless. It’s very rare for something to have appeal across that wide an age gap.

As much fun as this thing is, it does have some faults. As far as mine is concerned, one of the claws is a bit loose. It’s a minor nitpick, I’ll admit, but it does occasionally become vexing. It also makes me question it’s durability. I don’t want to push the thing’s luck, but I’m not sure how much punishment it would actually be able to take.

The far greater problem is the battery setup. It’s bad enough that the screwdriver uses button cell batteries ...

• Doctor Who 11th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver
      as opposed to the more traditional (and easy to find) models (though to their credit, they do include three to get you started), but putting them in is a pain. Getting to the battery compartment is easy enough, but then you need to use a tiny screwdriver to open said compartment. I don’t know if they thought they were being cute, making you use a screwdriver to use your sonic screwdriver, but I don’t like it. As I said before, the screws are really tiny, which means you need a much smaller screwdriver compared to the more standard ones that one might actually have laying around. It would’ve been nice if they had included one so that those
      who aren’t as tool savvy can still get to use the toy without any more hassle.

I read some other reviews on Amazon where people complained about access to the main button that “activates” the screwdriver, but I haven’t had much of a problem. Maybe their fingers are just wider? I don’t know, but it’s been working smoothly for me when I’ve used it.

This is a great gift for kids and adults alike. It may not be the most practical thing, but it is a lot of fun. If you’re a fan of Doctor Who, I recommend picking one of these bad boys up. There’s a bit of initial hassle, but once you get past that, it’s smooth sailing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3315121551220631/k2311a1215/12.15.11