Laurel Falls, Smokey Mountains National Park  » Travel  »
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee, United States
  • Like most of the trails we were going to experience during this trip, one side of the trail was against the mountain side while the other was a straight drop into broken branches and nature itself
  • Thankfully, we have planned ahead of injuries and had a first aid kit, which I highly recommend for you never know what could happen

• by sarahdragon26

Having never climbed a mountain before, I was really excited about experiencing the Smokey Mountain National park. My husband traveled much of it as a child and wanted me to see it, while we were still young enough to make the treks. I was looking forward to the majesties and beauties I would see, but nothing prepared me for what would happen to me at Laurel Falls, which was the first place we went to, on a four day trip.

Laurel Falls is one of the trails that leads up the side of a mountain, towards the beautiful waterfall up ahead. Like most of the trails we were going to experience during this trip, one side of the trail was against the mountain side while the other was a straight drop into broken branches and nature itself. The higher we walked, the longer and scarier the drop got. I had to force myself not to look straight down. Looking straight across was all right, but I started to get nervous

whenever I looked down the slope. Walking up the trail itself wasn’t as bad as the rest that we experienced afterwards, thou. Most of the trail was flat with no fallen trees or high roots. It was like walking up a steep slope. It was hard on my feet, but no where near as difficult as the rest of the trails. When we reached the top, the waterfall was breathtaking and the mist was cool as it came off the rocks. There was a wooden bridge to cross over the second part of the falls as they fell to the stream far below, which was very slippery and caused my heart to pound in fear as I crossed it. The falls themselves were a sight to behold with an area to sit and rest or just enjoy the view.

There is one thing I must mention more than anything else because this was the one thing that made me very angry while walking this trail. I have met some ...

• very rude and nasty people in the places I have traveled, but while traveling down the slope of the Laurel Falls trail, back to the car to go to the next location, there were many families coming up the trail with strollers. While most of the trail is flat, such a thing was possible, while there is no way a stroller could go through many of the other trails. Many of these strollers were those two or three seat ones that go across, instead of one seat behind another. And these strollers took up all the room on the path. And the adults pushing them didn’t stop to allow others through. I watched as one woman with a three seat stroller almost pushed a college-aged hiker off the side because the woman refused to stop her stroller or walk across the edge or the side of the mountain. She was walking right in the middle. Please, everyone. Don’t be like this person. Be understanding of the fact that this is
        the side of a mountain and yes, children should see the falls as well, but if you need to push them in a stroller, maybe they’re too young to make the climb. Be understanding of the people who are walking opposite of you.

My biggest warning about this trail is not the trail itself. But the waterfall area. Watch out for the rocks!! They are very slippery and wet and you can slip on them very easily. I speak from personal experience. When trying to cross the rocks, I slipped and my right knee slammed into one of the larger rocks. The impact sliced my knee open. A very large cut and deep. Thankfully, we have planned ahead of injuries and had a first aid kit, which I highly recommend for you never know what could happen. I didn’t plan on doing this kind of damage to myself and it was very painful. It hurt for two weeks after the impact and I have a nice scar to go with the memory.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 389121549380331/k2311a129/12.9.11