Horoscopes for the Dead by Billy Collins book  » Books  »
  • The poems are small ones, too, both in length (I don't think any run more than 3 pages, and most run no more than 2) and in subject matter
  • The problem is, in my opinion, that he doesn't know when to stop
  • This book was recommended to me by someone that I thought might have tastes in poetry that I thought were compatible with mine

• by Renaissance Woman

I wanted to like this book a lot. I *tried* to like this book a lot. I just couldn’t quite make it.

“Horoscopes for the Dead” is the most recent offering by the American poet Billy Collins. Collins was our national poet laureate from 2001 to 2003, and has since also been poet laureate for the state of New York. The man comes with credentials.

“Horoscopes” is a small book, about 5 ½ by 8 ½ inches, in hardcover. The poems are small ones, too, both in length

(I don’t think any run more than 3 pages, and most run no more than 2) and in subject matter. The topics are small snippets of life, little daily visions of the mundane that are filled with significance. It’s not a difficult book to read, especially if you like poetry.

I found the imagery just wonderful. I’m not a very visual reader, as a rule — that is, I don’t easily picture scenes in my head. But with Collin’s poems I had no problem; they were very ...

• clear to me — almost startling so. Collins has a knack with words, and is able to paint a picture in a few words, and then endow it with meaning. He has a knack with humor, too.

The problem is, in my opinion, that he doesn’t know when to stop. He gives us an image. And then another one. And then another. All of these separate images — and stanzas, technically — are all to get across the same point. The point may be significant, but Collins

tends to hammer us over the head with it. You’ve heard of run-on sentences? Well, these are run-on poems.

This book was recommended to me by someone that I thought might have tastes in poetry that I thought were compatible with mine. Indeed, they are, but only to a point. I’ve been told by others that Collins’s early works are better than this one, so I may give them a try. As far as “Horoscopes for the Dead” goes however, I didn’t like it quite well enough to be enthusiastic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 178121549070231/k2311a128/12.8.11