1999 Nissan Primera  » Cars  »
  • While I was a bit intimidated by it's size(I thought it was big , which is why I considered the Yaris) I realised it's pretty average sized
  • What impressed me most about this car is it's handling

• by Keston Johnson

When I was shopping for a used car. I looked for certain aspects that would be important to me. I was a new driver so I needed a good view of the road and predictable handling. I wanted reliability, I dread if my car would shut down in a bad place at the the worst time. It’s my nightmare. Really. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I needed a car with enough space but not too big because …new driver. It needed to be something in my price range with affordable parts. I looked at the Toyota Yaris,Corolla and the Honda Accord but i settled on the Nissan Primera.

I was not disappointed with my purchase. While I was a bit intimidated by

it’s size(I thought it was big , which is why I considered the Yaris) I realised it’s pretty average sized. The car is attractive for me. It has an understated profile with a hint of sportiness. I preferred it over the other offerings from Nissan such as the Almera.I got used to driving it pretty soon! The build quality is excellent. The paint job is flawless and durable. The materials, while rather plain are of good quality and the seats are certainly comfortable.

What impressed me most about this car is it’s handling. It is incredible. I have drove many other cars since i got the Primera but none of them possess the tactile feel of this cars handling! it is fun to ...

• drive on winding roads and it feels sporty. This is a drivers car. All the controls and instrumentation are positioned toward the driver and there is no vanity mirror or map pocket on that side. Well it could be cost cutting also..

Excluding battery run downs I have had this car for 3 years it has never shut down on me. The mechanicals and engine are spot on. This car drove through foot high flood waters, drove up steep sixty degree hills, and was challenged with really, really bad weather and has held it own very well.The roadholding is excellent. Fuel economy must be mentioned. it carries a 1.8 engine with an automatic transmission and a full tank takes me a week.

I drive everyday with about 100 km each trip. I really grew to love this car!

The car while having all of these positives does contain some negative aspects. the turning circle is pretty bad. You get used to it but you sometimes are forced to do a five point turn when you could perform a three point turn in another car. The inside needs some more pizzazz. It is very functional and ergonomic but needs more styling cues. Driving in a location with bad roads, the cars sporty suspension while good in hairpin curves take potholes really hard. Don’t expect an extremely soft cushy ride. It is the compromise for performance, but I still wish it would be less harsh in certain roads.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 97121548831231/k2311a127/12.7.11