Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010) Movie  » Movies  »
  • It is a finnish movie and it rates as 6.9/10 in IMDB that is why I decided to see it
  • I like foreign films and this looks quite interesting for me
  • I like the fact that the kid was ultimately the one who saves them all from this problem, and eventually we learn about what they meant with the title
  • The CG effects were great too and I didn’t expect it, but I found it highly enjoyable

• by asg

I just recently saw the movie Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale. It is a finnish movie and it rates as 6.9/10 in IMDB that is why I decided to see it. I like foreign films and this looks quite interesting for me. The title itself boggled me for a while; I really didn’t know how to connect the title and its relation to the movie. This has revealed itself towards the ending of the film.

This movie is about what everyone doesn’t know about Santa Claus. This is not the usual Santa that laughs with his usual ho-ho, eats our Christmas cookies and drinks eggnog, and gives us gifts during Christmas. This is about a dark Santa, the one that punishes bad kids and has an army of elves

who hunt these bad kids to punish them. This isn’t for young kids though, this movie is for kids who will not be afraid if they see a different kind of Santa and who can tolerate seriously-themed movies.

The movie starts with an excavation in the Korvatunturi Mountains where legend has it that the real Santa (the dark Santa) is trapped by the townsfolk before to stop his wrongdoings. A kid loses his friend (friend has gone missing) along with the other kids in the town. He mentions this to his father and his friends and he is also afraid of his own safety. It seems that someone has been kidnapping the children and someone is coming to get him (because as he said so himself: “I have been ...

• naughty.”)

This movie involves mature matters, like using the rare find and selling it at a price, something that kids might not be able to understand. This also opens our mind into the notion about legends about Santa Claus. In one part of the movie, the kid was reading a book about how monstrous Santa was; whipping children, putting them in a cauldron, etc if they were naughty. The amount of action is great with the movie, also there are some scary scenes (like the face of the Santa’s helper they captured, who would look like an evil person whose eyes glisten when there are bad children around) that kids might find scary. I like the fact that the kid was ultimately the one who saves them all from

this problem, and eventually we learn about what they meant with the title. I will not spoil it here so you could try and watch it to find out for yourself. The CG effects were great too and I didn’t expect it, but I found it highly enjoyable.I couldn’t comment much on the actors because I don’t know them, but acting-wise, they were okay. They did seem convincing with their roles.

This movie is great to watch and it has a great deal of action in it. This is not intended for very young kids because they will probably be scared of Santa and his elves. However for adults, this is a good movie as it gives you a different perspective about Christmas and Santa. I enjoyed it and I recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115121548550231/k2311a125/12.5.11