Riverhouse Backpacker’s Hostel  » Hotels  »
59 Fitzhammon Embankment, Cardiff, Wales
  • However, once I got to the room, I found it pretty decent

• by gallopmonkey

I was in Cardiff for a long weekend and needed a cheap place to stay that was still fairly central. After reading some reviews on the internet, I settled on the Riverhouse Backpacker’s Hostel.

Thie place was fabulous, and I was sad to leave at the end of the weekend. The brother and sister who run the hostel are really friendly, especially Charlie. It’s within walking distance of the railway station, and when I arrived, I was immediately made to feel welcome. Charlie showed me the wonderful kitchen and dining area, and I met the resident cat, who made me feel like

I was in a home and not just a hostel. The kitchen is probably the nicest one I’ve ever seen in a hostel, and it was home to some of the evening gatherings that Charlie organized. These were a lot of fun, because we all felt like we were able to get to know other hostellers.

The hostel is in an old Cardiff home, which is both good and bad. When I was told my room was on the top floor, I had no idea quite how “top floor” they meant. I kept going…and going…and going, and finally found my ...

• room in the attic. The stairs were pretty narrow, and I was afraid at one point that I was going to fall down the stairs with my suitcase! However, once I got to the room, I found it pretty decent. I was pleased to see a sizeable locker that I was able to store my valuables in.

I loved that the bathrooms were always spotless. Again, I felt like I was in somebody’s house, which lessened the feeling of being in a public bathroom. I felt more like I was living with roommates than sharing space with a bunch of unknown

travellers.

I really liked how homey the hostel felt. I spent some time chatting with Charlie, who began to feel more like a friend than a hostel owner. Whenever I walked past, he’d say ‘hi’ and ask me how things were going. When I had trouble with the wifi and needed to get something sent to a person back at home, he let me put it on a flash drive and use his personal computer to send it.

I felt like Abbie and Charlie were there to help and welcome travellers into their home. I would most certainly return here, and was sad to leave.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 25121548450231/k2311a125/12.5.11