Lysol Equine Thrush Treatment  » Other  »
  • Some of my horses are (what I think) are more prone to thrush then others
  • Zen has always had a problem with his feet
  • That cost $19.50 and up, this could get expensive because they often don't work on the first try and thrush could take a while to clear up
  • After doing tons of research my mother has invented the best thrush treatment anyone would ever ask for
  • I know mud can be a nasty business when dealing with horses

• by Khrystian

During winter where I live we get huge amounts of rain and snow so, mud is really unavoidable in the pastures. That being said my horses often end up having at least a little bit of thrush. Some of my horses are (what I think) are more prone to thrush then others. Like my sisters 11 year old Appendix gelding named Zen Budda.

Zen has always had a problem with his feet. But every winter he seems to come out the worst out of ALL of my horses. Most people would just run down to the nearest feed store and pick up some thrush medicine. That cost $19.50 and up, this could get expensive because they often don’t work on the first try and thrush could

take a while to clear up.

Thrush is a living organism called Anaerobic Bacteria. When it’s trapped with to much moisture it starts to grow a nasty fungal infection that slowly eats away at mainly the horses frog. The signs of thrush are easy to spot. Often the bacteria will leave a black substance behind which smells horrible.The horse might also be very sore due to the lose of tissue. over all it really isn’t something life threatening but if left for a long time this could possibly damage your horses feet.

But don’t worry! There is an easy way to solve this! After doing tons of research my mother has invented the best thrush treatment anyone would ever ask for. But there is a little bit of ...

• work and steps to this treatment. Over all it should take around 10-15 minuets to accomplish.

First wash the hooves down with water to remove all the excess mud that might be caked on. I know mud can be a nasty business when dealing with horses. Next take a 50/50 solution of lysol and water(doesn’t have to be name brand) and a small soft wire brush. Make sure the solution is half water and half Lysol, if it isn’t this could hurt your horse! Scrub the bottom of the hoof down, especially paying attention to the thrush area. Lysol kills all bacteria which will help prevent your horses thrush from spreading. Then have a 50/50 solution of water and apple cider vinegar. Spray the vinegar solution into

the infected area. This might cause your horse some discomfort. But is VERY important. Vinegar not only drys out the area but also eats fungus! The last part is easy. mix triple antibiotic and hydrocortisone cream together in a bowl. Use a hook syringe(I think that’s what it’s called) and force the end into the pockets or the cracks you see the thrush in. Make sure you get it as deep as possible. This helps the tissue heal better. If you don’t have a hook syringe a normal one will work.

All of these things can be found at the dollar store. Which is nice because I often have to treat more then one horse. This always works, my family never uses any other treatment for thrush on our horses.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121121547940531/k2311a121/12.1.11