EcoTools Bamboo Eye Brushes, 6 piece set
  • The blending brush (large eye brush) consists of looser, less dense hair which I found to be a slouch at mixing eyeshadows
  • I think the highlight brush, aptly named nonetheless, handles sheer and base colors nicely
  • It is cost effective because of its use of taclon fiber, a synthetic material, which is ironic for an eco-friendly product
  • I recommend going green with your brushes
  • It’s the best deal for complete eyeshadow brush sets out there, the best since sliced bread

• by jhunie

I couldn’t find a decent eye makeup brush at an accessible price. I opted to buy individual brushes, one in particular I have had for years and used like an all-purpose brush for blending eyeshadows (don’t ask me what type of e/s brush, as I don’t know either), with little help from sponge applicators. It’s better not to give away the name of that specific brush – what for? – because I already have everything I need in the Ecotools Bamboo eye brush set. Armed with a complete set of brushes, my makeup terminology broadened to include these 5 different kinds of brushes, as well as the corresponding techniques which I hoped to have executed well as per the brushes’ intended purposes.

The Ecotools eye brush set grants me a crash course into the art of eye makeup. Okay, let me put it this way: the set provides you 5 brushes to play with – which, in terms of application, translate to 5 different steps! Take a pick. As such, I’m a bit overwhelmed

by the number of brushes I have to work with. But for exciting every makeup-crazed bone in my body, the set makes a fantastic repertoire for mixing, blending and, all in all, improving the quality of shimmers and shades I get out of every eyeshadow. The brush hairs are so soft I could barely feel them on my eye lids.

The blending brush (large eye brush) consists of looser, less dense hair which I found to be a slouch at mixing eyeshadows. It’s good for dusting powdery pigments around the crease and brow bone, but it lacks the density needed to pick up and move eyeshadows around (too big for contoured applications). It’s got a flat profile also, so it’s not as airy or fluffy as my anonymous but effective all-purpose brush. I think the highlight brush, aptly named nonetheless, handles sheer and base colors nicely. The favorable sizes of the crease and highlight brushes bring out the true brilliance of rich shades, especially shimmer and metallic shadows. And they’re really all I ...

• need most of the time. However, such brushes make rough brush strokes, and light sweeps of the blending brush are necessary to smooth them out for a better finish. The stiffer brushes with slimmer profiles (smudge and shading brushes) are versatile and can be used for cream eyeshadows too. The smudge brush feels soft and not as abrasive as a scratchy rubber smudger in lining the lash line (if you actually use one).

The 6-piece set is probably designed for the earth-conscious jetsetter. I was startled at how short the bamboo handles were when I received them. The length of the handles is tapered compared to most brushes, extending not longer than an inch next to my index finger. Out of the 5, the blending brush has the chunkiest size with a pointed toe (the tip of a brush as artists say it). Others are either rounded (highlight) or straight (shading and smudge) or angled (crease). All eye brushes remain resilient in shape and resist shedding.

You’re probably wondering why I mention only

5 brushes in this review; the 6th piece, take note, actually refers to the off-white canvass pouch. It’s a nondescript pouch that tends to look tatty and discolored after several uses. Open it up and you’ll see it transforms into a brush roll. This case made of organic textile, presumably, wraps all 5 brushes in one travel-friendly kit. The size is so small – super! I can even hide it inside one of those coin compartments in my day bag. If only my face brushes could fit in there as well. It is cost effective because of its use of taclon fiber, a synthetic material, which is ironic for an eco-friendly product. I have been taught in art class, though, that synthetic fibers are the softest. And the ecotools brushes, given the softness of their bristles, set a high standard of quality for an affordable price (12 dollars). I recommend going green with your brushes. It’s the best deal for complete eyeshadow brush sets out there, the best since sliced bread.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3125111546860330/k2311a1125/11.25.11