The Toyota Corolla  » Cars  »
  • Okay, stop shaking your heads, I haven’t lost my marble yet, though I’m sure there are people out there who would debate that, but when I think of the Toyota Corolla I borrowed a long time ago that I drove all over the mid-Atlantic and I think of what’s being put out today with the same name, I just have that feeling of déjà vu all over again
  • The five-speed on the 2012 is nice, but it’s notchy and the throws are longer than I like
  • And, when I had the chance to stack it up against the automatic, I found that Toyota had definitely lined up on the side of gas mileage rather than performance

• by jollyroger

One thing a long career reviewing cars gives you is perspective, which is good and bad. It’s good because you can remember when the imports were those sporty little things that ran circles around the domestic models and ate Detroit’s lunch. It’s bad because you remember the same things.

Okay, stop shaking your heads, I haven’t lost my marble yet, though I’m sure there are people out there who would debate that, but when I think of the Toyota Corolla I borrowed a long time ago that I drove all over the mid-Atlantic and I think of what’s being put out today with the same name, I just have that feeling of déjà vu all over again. No, the 2012 is a much better car than the 1973 that

I used, but it still isn’t up to the Toyos that I put through their paces over a long car-writing career.

And, maybe it’s just middle age creeping up on me, but something feels missing from the 2012 Corolla. It just doesn’t have the panache that the 1.

6-liter four (make that three) had when I was a young guy on vacation driving his brother’s car. The five-speed on the 2012 is nice, but it’s notchy and the throws are longer than I like.

And, when I had the chance to stack it up against the automatic, I found that Toyota had definitely lined up on the side of gas mileage rather than performance. I managed to squeeze 30-mpg plus out of the test Corolla, but it just ...

• felt like I’d been there before.

Actually, I had because with the exception of a couple of body tweaks to make it look more like the Camry, the 2012 is just like the 2011 and 2010, for that matter. The 1.

8-liter 132-horsepower four’s performance just isn’t up to that of the competition, the Cruze, the Ford Focus/Mazda3 and, whoever though I’d say this, the Hyundai Elantra. The mid-teen price of the average Corolla gets you electric windows across the line – imagine a Base L without crank windows, that’s mind-boggling; they’ve been in the LE and SE for some time – the rest just isn’t.

The ride’s okay and isolation from road noise is good, but the handling is sloppy and even a little floaty-feeling at times. And the

trunk is way too small for anything useful, although the interior does have plots of storage space.

The front seats leave a lot to be desired on long trips – even on test drives if your back hurts – while the rear seat on the sedan I can honestly say will accommodate three adults. How comfortably they’ll be on a long trip, well that’s another story.

The overall interior is nicely styled, even if it does remind me of last years and the year before that. It even reminded me of an 08 a guy I worked with drove.

Still, for what it is, basic transportation that won’t deliver surprises, the Corolla is all that. And besides, after all the recalls the automaker has had in the last couple of years, isn’t it nice to win one for a change?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 925111546700330/k2311a1125/11.25.11