2012 Honda Coupe  » Cars  »
  • I have to admit right here that I did sell Hondas for a number of years during the early part of the last decade and I really did like the 2000-2005 models
  • The tail-lights have also been integrated into the design

• by jollyroger

I knew I wasn’t seeing things or feeling things when I slipped behind the wheel of the 2012 Honda Coupe recently. The literature that I was handed touted the increased legroom and shoulder room of the front seats, but glossed over the rear seat room. When I did try the rear seat, it turned out that it’s good that I’m not tall.

Even shorties have to be contortionists to get in and out; if I were a six-footer I’d be upset if I was forced to sit back there because rear seat headroom still is sliced by the roof’s slope (granted it’s not quite as pronounced as earlier former versions) and there doesn’t seem

to be as much legroom back there, even for me. And, in looking at the specs for the Coupe, I wasn’t dreaming because the Coupe’s wheelbase has been cut to 103, while the Sedan is 105.

It is true there has been at least one significant interior improvement, an increase of more than an inch of legroom up front but, so what? It’s not in the rear. I have to admit right here that I did sell Hondas for a number of years during the early part of the last decade and I really did like the 2000-2005 models.

Yes, their lines were conservative, but the older Civics could easily outhandle the 2012 ...

• and performance was a lot spritelier from the 1. 7-liter four.

Came the 2006 coupe and lots of us in the showroom did double and triple takes. The Civic went from a really nice-looking platform to become a rolling jellybean.

The rounded front end sloped sharply up to a rolling passenger compartment that rolled back to a rear end that was just there. Still, customers bought the lines and Civics, (truth be told, I still have trouble with the post-2006 lines).

I guess Honda sensed something, too, because they made the 2012 Coupe into a rolling contradiction in terms. Its lines seem less like jellybean-like and are more like a car (a la the Toyota

Corolla).

The hood-line is longer and bumper have been sculpted into a single unit with a flatter grille for better aerodynamics. The tail-lights have also been integrated into the design.

It’s more like back to the future than anything else. The handling is disappointing and sloppy, which is surprising from a vehicle with rack-and-pinion steering.

We did notice that the automatic coupe had an aggressive overdrive so that mileage increased to about 30 mpg overall. The five-speed standard we also tried out still had a loosey-goosey feeling to it, rather than the tighter, shorter throws of earlier models.

So there was no improvement there. Where there was improvement was in body stiffness – somewhat less roll – and noise isolation.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 925111546680330/k2311a1125/11.25.11