Panasonic 42-inch 3D TV (TC-P42ST30)  » Electronics  »
  • This was definitely annoying, but my boyfriend assured me that this was the last hassle before we had the best quality television around
  • Although I am not a sound junkie and cannot necessarily speak to how amazing the quality of sound on this TV may be, I have to say it is very clear and loud enough for most environments
  • It is a bit bulky and the bezel is present more than I like to see, however it is not hideous by any means, just not as sleek and minimalist
  • However, the quality difference is definitely far more important and there Panasonic certainly wins out

• by agoobacha

My boyfriend is a huge techie and is always ready to try out the newest technology, even if it means replacing something that works perfectly well. His recent obsession was with 3D televisions. Although some people are skeptical about this new gadget, he could not wait to replace our perfectly good LED TV model with a 3D one. After doing meticulous research as he always does, we settled on the Panasonic TC P46ST30, which is a 46 inch plasma wonder.

When the television arrived, we learned about one annoying aspect of having a plasma television. In order to get the full range of colors and awaken the pixels, we had to play a fun video of colors for four days straight. This is a program that can be downloaded and then must be plugged in via

USB cord to your television for 100 hours. This was definitely annoying, but my boyfriend assured me that this was the last hassle before we had the best quality television around.

And indeed I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the TV. Unlike the LED television we had previously, the Panasonic portrayed colors beautifully, very bold, bright, and vivid. At one point we had both of our televisions turned on and could really see the difference, the LED looked faded out and bleak. There was, however, a downside to all this awesomeness. When we watched the Panasonic during the day, we had to have the shades down because plasma does not hold up well in the bright glare of the sun. If the shades were up, or enough sunlight streamed through, it was the Panasonic that came out looking washed out and in fact there were times when the picture was hardly distinguishable. After a while we had to rearrange our living room so that the television had its back to the window in order to minimize the glare.

Although I am not a sound junkie and cannot necessarily speak to how amazing the quality of sound on this TV may be, I have to say it is very clear and loud enough for most environments. Our apartment stands right over the Long Island Rail Road therefore we have numerous times throughout the day when the noise level goes up significantly and it is very rare that we have to increase the volume on our TV in order to hear whatever we are watching. I would say that is pretty impressive.

The ...

• Panasonic 42-inch 3D TV (TC-P42ST30)
      3D aspect of the television is great, however I find that we are not able to use it as much as you would hope, having shelled out the big bucks to have the ability. There are only a few movies currently out that are 3D, and most of them are not something that I would want to watch. The only film that we have on 3D is Avatar, which is absolutely stunning on this TV. The wonderful array of colors really come through here and watching this movie makes me wish that we could watch everything that way. The 3D in Avatar was better even that what was shown in theaters, it really feels as though you are in the story. The television also has the ability to make regular 2D shows and movies into 3D,
      however because they were not filmed that way, the quality is poor and the difference in depth is only slightly noticeable.

The design of the TV is not as aesthetically pleasing as, for example, Samsung televisions. It is a bit bulky and the bezel is present more than I like to see, however it is not hideous by any means, just not as sleek and minimalist. However, the quality difference is definitely far more important and there Panasonic certainly wins out.

Overall this is TV can be a bit fussy at times, but once you get past the initial annoyances of owning a plasma television, the Panasonic is great. I wish there was more use for the 3D aspect of it, but of course this is still a growing market and more movies will become available as it develops.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1616111545380430/k2311a1116/11.16.11