CB Comedy Club  » Entertainment  »
0.5
89 MacDougal Street New York, NY 10012
  • I was happy to discover that there was a two item minimum, as opposed to the usual two drink minimum, because I was not drinking that night
  • I realize that comedy clubs do gear their minimums toward alcoholic beverages, and therefore I expected my tea to be overpriced, no problem
  • Although some of my friends were a bit tipsy and therefore more amused than me, none of us really had a good time but just tried to make the best of it
  • We will most definitely be planning ahead in the future so that we never have to end up in a place like this again

• by agoobacha

When an out of town friend came to visit, he was very keen on seeing a comedy show, why I will never know. A group of us agreed that given the right atmosphere this could potentially be fun, so we set out to the West Village to find something that would suit our needs and wallets. We had initially decided to go to the Comedy Cellar, which has a good reputation and a decent menu downstairs at the Olive Tree Cafe, however we should have planned ahead as it was Friday night and the show sold out about an hour before we even got there. We were not worried, however, because comedy clubs are clustered like flies on a lightbulb in this area, so we just strolled along MacDougal street. We were hailed by a comedy club promoter for CB Comedy Club,

who offered us an excellent price, which initially started at $20, but was brought down to $10. This was reasonable because the place was not famous and did not have any big names performing.

We sat down in a nice, dark little corner and prepared ourselves for some fun. I was happy to discover that there was a two item minimum, as opposed to the usual two drink minimum, because I was not drinking that night. Boy, do I wish I was! The show started out as just okay, and only continued getting worse from there. It seems we had wandered into some kind of double feature night because the comics just kept coming! Maybe they thought we were really getting the bang for our buck, however the performances were awful! There are only so many race and sex jokes that I can ...

• hear before I cannot help but roll my eyes. At first it can potentially make me chuckle, I am by no means prudish or opposed to non politically correct humor, but come on! At least be a little more creative! I really felt like the same joke was recycled over and over again.

In addition to that, my two items were disgusting, for different reasons. I ordered a tea and a red velvet cupcake. I realize that comedy clubs do gear their minimums toward alcoholic beverages, and therefore I expected my tea to be overpriced, no problem. However, a cup of tea for $7? No way! That is beyond obscene. If a regular cup of tea goes for somewhere around $1.50 and they even want to TRIPLE that, the price does not become that high. My red velvet cupcake, which I was

actually very excited about was absolutely disgusting, and also ridiculously overpriced. It resembled cornbread, but for some reason was dyed red and flurried with whipped cream on top. Red cornbread with whipped cream is what these people thought was a good imitation of red velvet!

After an hour and a half which felt like four hours, I was insanely glad that the show finally ended. I could not even bring myself to politely clap or even smile at that point and was just happy to run out the door. Although some of my friends were a bit tipsy and therefore more amused than me, none of us really had a good time but just tried to make the best of it. We will most definitely be planning ahead in the future so that we never have to end up in a place like this again!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5916111545340430/k2311a1116/11.16.11