Marrakech Hotel in New York City  » Hotels  »
2688 Broadway, New York, NY 10025
  • The hotel was already booked for us, but I was really happy overall with the experience
  • This hotel is a bit far from the city center, but it's definitely not so far that it's an inconvenience
  • I don't think the building had an elevator, which was unfortunate to carry our heavy luggage up the steep, narrow stairway
  • I had a problem at the airport with my luggage, and it actually took about a day for the airport to send my luggage over
  • I love the lounge, the decor and the location, so I would definitely stay here again

• by Melanie Noell

I stayed at the Marrakech Hotel while traveling with a class to participate in the International Contemporary Furniture Fair. The hotel was already booked for us, but I was really happy overall with the experience.

This hotel is a bit far from the city center, but it’s definitely not so far that it’s an inconvenience. I actually liked that we were a bit removed from the extreme hustle and bustle of central New York City. We had a good amount of restaurants and shops nearby to keep us entertained, and we weren’t too far from the subway. The building itself is kind of weird - you don’t expect a hotel to be inside! We went up the stairs to find a really beautiful albeit dimly lit front desk and lounge area. They assigned us to our room, and off we

went.

I don’t think the building had an elevator, which was unfortunate to carry our heavy luggage up the steep, narrow stairway. The interior of the hotel is a bit of a maze, so it was really difficult to maneuver around to find our room. Once inside our room, I was a bit surprised at the small size, but it was my first time in New York City. Looking back, it was a pretty average-size hotel room for the city. Our bathroom was a bit small, and the design of the room was a bit awkward, but we still had a decent amount of room to get around. We also had a little window near the beds looking down at the city.

The staff was so helpful here. I had a problem at the airport with my luggage, and it actually ...

• took about a day for the airport to send my luggage over. The hotel was really helpful with keeping in touch with the airport for us as well as arranging where the luggage would be. As soon as it got there (sometime early in the morning - maybe 6am?), the hotel had someone bring the luggage up to us since they knew we wouldn’t be down for a few more hours (for ICFF). It was incredibly great service.

I also loved the decor - it’s very Moroccan. The lounge really exudes this Moroccan feel in its decor and colors. And they offer some great happy hour deals. It’s a really small but fun place to hang out, that I really appreciate being so close to my room.

The hotel doesn’t do much for blocking out noise, which I found to be

a bit of a problem when I was trying to sleep. We weren’t on a very high floor, and this is, after all, the city that never sleeps. The beeping horns and other noises kept me up all night thanks to the room’s location. It wasn’t very clean either, or maybe it was because the lighting was so dim throughout that the carpet looked dirty. Either way, it made it a bit unwelcoming.

Despite the loud noises and less-than-squeaky-clean appearance, I really enjoyed the hotel. I wish they had an elevator, but it’s not enough of a problem to deter me from staying here. I love the lounge, the decor and the location, so I would definitely stay here again. It’s definitely better for a younger crowd that can hike up those stairs, but it’s a fun, affordable place to stay.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 216111545110330/k2311a1116/11.16.11