Guerlain Apres l’Ondee Perfume  » Perfume  »
  • If perfumery were a vast garden, Guerlain would definitely be one giant flower, a general profile defined by Shalimar and Samsara
  • I like scents that are uplifting, the friendly types
  • Every time I smell Apres l’Ondee, I think of someone groomed in a garden
  • Apres l’Ondee is, to date, one of the few perfumes that turns violets into a worthy fragrance, convincingly that I might consider it my favorite floral note
  • If you’re steeped in perfume culture, I highly recommend Apres l’Ondee

• by jhunie

Apres l’Ondee is a fragrance I keep coming back to. I haven’t for a long time smelled real violet flowers, but my brain links it to Apres l’Ondee almost naturally like the real thing. If perfumery were a vast garden, Guerlain would definitely be one giant flower, a general profile defined by Shalimar and Samsara. Apres l’Ondee smells like it is cultivated from another garden entirely. Guerlain is typically all about statement perfumes, made especially to adorn one’s self. Hence, ornamental scents. I don’t fare well with perfumes of that sort. I like scents that are uplifting, the friendly types. I’m allergic to floral perfumes, in this case, Guerlain fragrances set the example, but not Apres l’Ondee.

Every time I smell Apres l’Ondee, I think of someone groomed in a garden. And funny that I’m referring to myself on that account, because this floral fragrance smells as

if it emanated from another person, and not utterly from my body. It just blends in the air unconsciously. It smells ‘quaint,’ and I like that the perfume doesn’t drown me in a powdery bouquet. When sprayed, violets rise up, accompanied by some green notes and a bit of Bergamot. Apres l’Ondee is, to date, one of the few perfumes that turns violets into a worthy fragrance, convincingly that I might consider it my favorite floral note. But there’s a lot more to appreciate in Apres l’Ondee. The iris that recalls Prada’s infusion d’iris, giving it a slight unisex edge. The carnation which lends a classic mood. The woody amber.

In colors, Apres l’Ondee to me is a succession of violet, mossy greens and amber. It settles as a gentle caress on my skin. The warm base notes are derivatives of the classic Guerlain composition.

• It has the typical Guerlain flourish of vanilla at the bottom. In perspective, it lacks the assertive quality of Guerlain’s perfumes. No comparative analysis would do it justice, because it is so different from anything I associate to Guerlain. Besides my insolence and allegoria ‘lilas,’ Apres l’Ondee is among the few Guerlain scents I enjoy wearing. It doesn’t dictate any specific occasion, and it makes me feel good. I would pick this in a heartbeat against the smokier l’Heure Bleu.

As Eliza Doolittle puts it in Pygmalion, in her awful English, ‘Voylets trampled in mud’ – and, if I may add, in rain – Apres l’Ondee is likened by Guerlain to a wet garden after the rain. The fact that the ‘voylets’ were soaked, I digress, in pouring rain on that scene in the story, as well as in mud, the passage is very close to describing Guerlain’s interpretation of

this fragrance. I smell it in the morning, and it’s just pure bliss. I suppose its earthiness is tucked somewhere along those smooth vanilla notes, but I don’t really ‘feel’ it. It still leaves a powdery trace, but not as dried up as others.

It doesn’t have a remarkable scent throw or sillage though. That’s why for a moment I mistake it as someone else’s perfume. It just sits on my shoulder, getting fainter and fainter. Sometimes it lingers longer, sometimes it’s gone without a trace. I wish it lasts longer. I regret not buying a bottle of this when it was still well stocked. Currently the supplies are scarce. For now I try to collect decants of it as much as I can. Despite the various means I get them, the scent remains unchanged. If you’re steeped in perfume culture, I highly recommend Apres l’Ondee.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5615111544571130/k2311a1115/11.15.11