Leoci’s Trattoria in Savannah, Georgia  » Restaurants  »
606 Abercorn Street Savannah, GA 31401
  • Leoci's is not only my favorite Italian restaurant in Savannah, its also one of my favorite lunch spots as well as, in my opinion, one of the best places for a romantic dinner
  • Not that it matters - most everything they make is delicious
  • I'm impressed that they serve two size portions as well, and not just for lunch
  • Although the portion is somewhat small, the cheese and mushroom filled pastas are definitely filling
  • So I highly recommend Leoci's for some homemade Italian - just don't expect it to taste like home cooking

• by Melanie Noell

I was born in an area overrun by fantastic homestyle Italian restaurants, so I am a huge Italian fan. While it isn’t exactly homestyle Italian, nothing beats Leoci’s Trattoria for Italian in Savannah.

Leoci’s is not only my favorite Italian restaurant in Savannah, its also one of my favorite lunch spots as well as, in my opinion, one of the best places for a romantic dinner. The location is a bit sketchy, but the business itself went under some major renovations so you don’t even realize you’re outside of the historic district. The little brick building has a cafe-feel to it, and the interior is decorated with plenty of (presumably local) art. Outside is where

customers will really be fascinated: the owner took the time to build a wooden deck AROUND the trees growing outside, making a very unique deck. The tables themselves are very casual bistro-style, and the twinkle lights set the mood for a romantic evening. Just beyond the deck is a bocci ball court that patrons can use in the summer.

Once I get past all of the beautiful art work and landscaping, I can settle in to enjoy everything else the restaurant has to offer. The staff here are excellent. They’re helpful, friendly and efficient. Every time I have been there, they have helped me make decisions, and their recommendations never seem influenced by menu prices.

• Not that it matters - most everything they make is delicious. My boyfriend always gets the mussels and the sauce they cook it in is great for dipping bread. They also have the best lasagna I’ve ever had. I get the vegetable lasagna and he gets the meat lasagna.

I’m impressed that they serve two size portions as well, and not just for lunch. The larger portion sizes are actually quite large, although the lasagna lunch portion is almost as big as the dinner portion.

My absolute favorite dish is the truffle sacchetti. Although the portion is somewhat small, the cheese and mushroom filled pastas are definitely filling. And the cheesy truffle cream sauce

is light, creamy and perfect. They make all their own pasta, so the noodles are, without a doubt, the best I’ve ever had.

The one flaw I can find is with the caesar salad. I know it sounds weird to discriminate such a simple dish, but the dressing just isn’t great. And considering the portion size, $7 is way too much for a side salad. Especially one that isn’t very good.

So I highly recommend Leoci’s for some homemade Italian - just don’t expect it to taste like home cooking. The restaurant creates much more elaborate dishes than many traditional Italian restaurants, but all of them are true to Italian cooking and delicious. Just skip the caesar salad.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 78111543080330/k2311a118/11.8.11