Hans Cottage Lodge ,Cape coast, Ghana  » Hotels  »
7th street near Pedu Town , Cape coast, Ghana
  • I enjoyed the typical local vegetable stew with some cooked potatoes and yam to taste
  • I bought some fresh fish or chicken and threw them at the reptiles to entice them to come out from the pond
  • It is really a place to visit if you really want to experience the green virgin equatorial rain forest, eat delicious local dishes and watch very exciting crocodiles in a typical village environment

• by Fred K Fianu

These are small chalets which were established around a small crocodile pond near cape coast in the central region of Ghana. To get to Hans Cottage lodge, you have to take the inter city commercial bus from Accra to Cape coast. From there, you will have to take a taxi to Hans Cottage in a small town called Pedu, which is about 5km drive from Cape coast

The main source of attraction is the crocodile pond which serves as a tourist centre for local and foreign visitors. The pond is constructed on a big compound in front of these chalets which has many wild species of crocodiles which are friendly, except they are not provoked.

My fist visit to the Hans Cottage was during the Easter Holiday. I visited the place with

my colleague when we were looking for a cool and serene environment to spend the holiday. It was an exciting time for us when we arrived at the Hans Cottage in that Easter Monday afternoon, after making an almost 145 kilometer journey from Accra to Cape coast.

Immediately we got to the reception office and booked for an accommodation. A chalet is built with typical local materials and roofed with dry leaves. . The design of the inner chamber was also decorated with a typical traditional setting in a very serene and cool astrosphere The roofing is designed in such a way that, it’s really cools the room, despite the hot temperature outside. One cottage or chalet costs between ¢20.00 or ¢30.00 per night, depending on the facilities that go with it.

The ...

• Hans Cottage is located in a typical virgin forest in a very green, quiet, serene and relaxing environment and the only noise one could hear was the echoes of birds and other species of animal in the forest. The food at the restaurant was basically local dishes with some few continental cuisines to meet different choices. I enjoyed the typical local vegetable stew with some cooked potatoes and yam to taste. The food tastes nice and their waiters were also friendly and serviceable. One plate of food with a snack costs me ¢10.00 but other varieties on the menu, costs more depending on the type. They always keep a good smile to guest when they serve. I was really touched by the friendly attitude of one waiter who refused
        to accept a tip from me. After that I went to the pond side and saw many crocodiles which were very friendly. I bought some fresh fish or chicken and threw them at the reptiles to entice them to come out from the pond. I took colourfull pictures of the crocodiles and different species of birds around the Cottage.

I really enjoyed the place during my two-day stay because I actually had the feel of a typical fresh, green and quite environment. Its also gave me a sound relief from the stress from the hustling and bustling of the town life in Accra.

It is really a place to visit if you really want to experience the green virgin equatorial rain forest, eat delicious local dishes and watch very exciting crocodiles in a typical village environment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28111543060230/k2311a118/11.8.11