Your Highness - Unrated (2011 movie)  » Movies  »
  • I know it's illogical, but that's what makes it so funny

• by A Catholic Perspective

Sometimes I just need to watch something absurd. I know it’s illogical, but that’s what makes it so funny. Danny McBride is a master of this kind of humor. Ever since I saw him in “Eastbound & Down,” I’ve been a huge fan. It’s also a pleasure to see James Franco in a comedic role again. The character of Fabious is perfect for him. The brotherly love between Franco and McBride is the greatest strength of this movie. The younger brother is jealous of the older.

But the older is supportive of the younger. They help each other out on an epic quest. It’s very endearing and Christian too. However, I’d say this movie isn’t quite suitable for teens. It’s more for the inner adolescent inside a fully grown mature person, who’s able to distinguish between joke and reality.

There’s a campiness to this film with its fake British accents, cheesy fight scenes, and gruesome video-game style deaths. Personally, I enjoyed it. My funny bone got tickled. I was also amazed by ...

• the high production value of the costumes, sets, and special effects. You really get your money’s worth, along with the star power, of course. Natalie Portman and Zooey Deschanel commit to their roles as much as Franco and McBride do.

Let me give a few warnings. There is some topless nudity with Marteetee’s tribe. He’s a very scary satanic figure who may give sensitive people nightmares. Sexual molestation, bestiality, rape, penis removal, and masturbation occur as well. For some, it may be funny. For me, as a

Catholic, I’m still shocked by those scenes. Did I laugh? Yes. Did I cringe as I laughed? Yes.

I wouldn’t say this film is morally bankrupt. It kind of reminded me of the parable of “The Prodigal Son,” except with a more loving older brother. People in real life are confused and have to find their way to becoming heroes. If you take that into account, “Your Highness” has a positive message. We should never give up on family; faith, forgiveness, and loving guidance go a long way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2011. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112111542210430/k2311a112/11.2.11